how to go about asking a teacher to reconsider a grade

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Here is the issue. I wrote an essay and got a 75 on it. The reasons my teacher listed a 75 were that I abbreviated the organization ONL wrong (I wrote OONL), and that I had run-on sentences. My paper did not have 1 run-on sentence, and I verified this with another teacher and with the writing lab. So I emailed the teacher who graded my paper and asked if I could talk to her after class so she could show me where I had run-ons so I could improve next time. She wrote "Your grade is the result of more than run-ons". I have never gotten less than an A- on any college paper I have written, and I know this sounds arrogant but I don't believe my paper is a C by any stretch. It is an A- or A paper that I wrote. I covered all of the topics, my APA was correct, my references were current and cited correctly, and other than OONL, I can't find one error. I work very hard on my papers, and it takes me a long time to do. This is worth 20% of my grade, which is a big chunk because we only have 1 exam in the class. I received a 100 on every other paper this semester in nursing classes.

My question is, how should I approach this teacher? I mean I can't really say "I don't think I deserve this grade" can I? Also, I'm not sure if it is wrong to compare with others in my class, but one student handed his paper in late and received a 100. Can/should I bring that up?

Thank you.

I think I'd bring it up, but not in defense. Actually ask if she can set aside time to go over the paper and show what she suggests you work on because you do not want to make these mistakes, if any, in the future. I'm pretty sure instructors can't deny you wanting to know what is wrong with you paper??

The best of luck to you!

Specializes in Med-Surg.

Is it graded off of a rubric? If so I'd ask to see it. You deserve to know how your paper is graded.

As WanderingWilder said, if it is graded on a rubric, you should be given a copy of it and be able to see what aspects of the paper were being looked at for your grade. When I was in nursing school, anytime we had a paper, we were given a rubric and we went off that when writing the paper. Then, the instructor used the rubric when grading and gave us a copy of that so we could see exactly where the points were taken from. You have the right to ask what points were taken off for.

Of course, like you said, you can't go in saying something like you don't think you deserve the grade you got or that you deserve a better grade. You have to approach it correctly. Like the other said, say you'd like to see what points were taken off and why. Explain that you would like to be able to improve and you're not sure what was wrong with the paper, so without knowing you can't improve. IF the instructor is unwilling to meet with you, then you move up the chain of command. Don't just jump to the top of the chain. Move up it. And ONLY if you absolutely have to. Always try working it out with the instructor first.

Unfortunately writing in any capacity is more subjective then objective. I too think of my self to be a fairly decent writer when it comes to papers and with that being said have also gotten less than hoped on ones I thought for sure I aced. It never hurts to ask where your weak points in her perspective are and like previous posters mentioned if graded off a rubic can ensure all of those bullet points were hit on and explained appropriately. Sometime though if it's not going to drag your grade completely down and weak points are identified you know what to work on for the next time and leave that as it is.

It may have been technically correct, but was the content strong? Did you fully answer the prompt? Show orignial thought or analysis? Did you display evidence that you truly grasped the subject?

Specializes in MICU RN.
Is it graded off of a rubric? If so I'd ask to see it. You deserve to know how your paper is graded.

That's the best advice I think. All (good) teachers SHOULD be using a rubric. It would help you for the future to see it and see how their grading is calculated. Grades shouldn't be just arbitrarily thrown out because the teacher didn't "like" your paper or had just a few grammar issues. If she has no rubric at least (politely) ask for the reasons that you were graded as you were. 75 seems rather low to be just based off a few run on sentences and such errors.

It may have been technically correct, but was the content strong? Did you fully answer the prompt? Show orignial thought or analysis? Did you display evidence that you truly grasped the subject?

Agreed. As I said in my previous post, when I was in nursing school we had rubrics for our papers. However, included in those rubrics would be specific points we had to hit on, for example (this is from one of the rubrics I used I had for a paper I had to write in nursing school):

Identifies and explains x

• 4 points if x is very clearly identified and described so that a complete and full understanding is possible by the reader
  • 3 points if x is identified and described so that a sufficient understanding is possible by reader
  • 2 – 0 points if x is not identified and/or described OR is plagiarized. Difficult for reader to understand x.

Analyzes data/evidence. Justifies own perspective and position linking and supporting analysis to/with journal articles, course textbook readings, class discussion, and lecture.

• 4 points if information from current, reliable, peer-reviewed journal articles and course textbook is incorporated into analysis, relevantly supporting data and evidence. Complete and comprehensive analysis of supporting data/evidence. Clearly distinguishes factual data from opinion. Analysis is completely supported by relevantly linking case data to course readings, class discussions, and lecture.
  • 3 points if adequate analysis of supporting data/evidence. Distinction between factual data from opinion is muddled. Analysis is adequately supported by linking case data to course readings, class discussions, and lecture, with most links being relevant.
  • 2 – 0 points if information from current, reliable, peer-reviewed journal articles and/or course textbook is mentioned, but irrelevantly incorporated into analysis OR no support of data and evidence with any sources. Analysis of supporting data/evidence is weak or absent. No distinction between factual data and opinion. Analysis is not supported by linking case data to course readings, class discussions, and lecture, or links are completely irrelevant.

And those are just 2 examples of what we were taken points off from. So, you can see if, as ProperlySeasoned, stated, the content isn't strong, your topic isn't fully explained/answered, original thought or analysis is not displayed, you do not display evidence you truly grasp the subject, or just things like (in my example above) you didn't distinguish factual data from opinion. Points can be lost from many places, not just from grammatical and spelling errors.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.
Here is the issue. I wrote an essay and got a 75 on it. The reasons my teacher listed a 75 were that I abbreviated the organization ONL wrong (I wrote OONL), and that I had run-on sentences. My paper did not have 1 run-on sentence, and I verified this with another teacher and with the writing lab. So I emailed the teacher who graded my paper and asked if I could talk to her after class so she could show me where I had run-ons so I could improve next time. She wrote "Your grade is the result of more than run-ons". I have never gotten less than an A- on any college paper I have written, and I know this sounds arrogant but I don't believe my paper is a C by any stretch. It is an A- or A paper that I wrote. I covered all of the topics, my APA was correct, my references were current and cited correctly, and other than OONL, I can't find one error. I work very hard on my papers, and it takes me a long time to do. This is worth 20% of my grade, which is a big chunk because we only have 1 exam in the class. I received a 100 on every other paper this semester in nursing classes.

My question is, how should I approach this teacher? I mean I can't really say "I don't think I deserve this grade" can I? Also, I'm not sure if it is wrong to compare with others in my class, but one student handed his paper in late and received a 100. Can/should I bring that up?

Thank you.

Absolutely do NOT bring that up. You don't know the circumstances as to why that other student handed in his paper, and you don't know the quality of his work.

To bring that up, would cheapen your argument. Leave it alone.

You might ask what the criteria is that she bases her grading on, and if she is compelled to share it with you, accept it and be respectful.

Attitude plays a part here. Don't misunderstand me.

I am an educator myself. Understand that the standards with what you were raised, might not be as high as hers. You are not in High School after all.

And face it. Some teachers get overwhelmed too and may not grade with the same precision as others.

No, it's not fair but that is the real world and since you are about to embark on that journey you may as well learn it now.

Teachers are not required to explain the grades that they give. So be prepared if she doesn't rise to the occasion.

If you are truly convinced that she is wrong and you are right, then see the Dean.

But be prepared for your next assignment.

Best to you.

Specializes in Pedi.

Absolutely do NOT bring up the other student. How do you even know when someone else turned in his paper and what his grade was? Don't be concerned with other students, be concerned with yourself. You may have used APA format correctly and not had any run-on sentences but that doesn't mean that the content/quality of your work warrants an A. None of us have read your paper so we can't say. I'd long stopped caring about grades by this point in nursing school. ;)

Just wanted to thank everyone for the comments, I didn't get a chance to finish reading them all until now, but I appreciate it and guess I better suck it up and try better each time. I haven't seen this teacher yet but now I'm in a better attitude to speak with her about it (if I do, will just be to ask to see the rubric or areas I can improve).

This teacher seems to like when you write to the point with no elaboration, and my grades have improved since then (we hand in online)

I knew about the other student because he's my friend in school, and was worried he'd get a bad grade for handing it in late and told me that, and then told me he got 100 after all. I will definitely not bring that up...and just keep trying. Maybe I'm over confident.

Specializes in Med/Surg, Academics.

Teachers are not required to explain the grades that they give. So be prepared if she doesn't rise to the occasion.

Huh? Really?

+ Add a Comment