Any advice on how to study for NURSING SCHOOL???

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello, I am currently in my third year of nursing school. I am taking med-surg I and pediatrics. I have midterms coming up shortly and I have not been doing well in class. I find that I am trying so hard to memorize symptoms and definitions that I end up forgetting after each test anyways. I just feel so overwhelmed.... I am the first person in my family to go to college so it's hard to get advice, and I don't know any nurses. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to study for exams? Thank you

Signed,

Discouraged Nursing Student

Flash cards. Make flowcharts of illnesses and include S/S, diagnostics, labs. Treatments and special considerations. Peds really focus on rashes, respiratory and close monitoring. Med Surg is a lot and can be overwhelming. Any codes in your text books? Lot of them will have practice tests and quizzes. This is what I always did. Good luck

Flash cards. Make flowcharts of illnesses and include S/S, diagnostics, labs. Treatments and special considerations. Peds really focus on rashes, respiratory and close monitoring. Med Surg is a lot and can be overwhelming. Any codes in your text books? Lot of them will have practice tests and quizzes. This is what I always did. Good luck

Thank you for your suggestions! I never thought to make a flow sheet. I feel that will help me a lot. Yes, my med-surg textbook does have a code. I will definitely be sure to see if practice tests are available. Thank you for replying!

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

I also read my text and class notes into a recorder that I listened to in the car, out on walks, while washing dishes. I read my flash card while on the toilet, during commercials, etc. Of course, I also watched YouTube r/t whatever I was studying at the time.

I did well making a form of a concept map for all my disease processes.

Example of mine would be name at the top with a short explanation of what it is. Next would be assessment findings, the how it would be diagnosed (what test or procedures would be done), then interventions. I would hand write them with lots of color because I'm a visual learner. This would help me to be able to see them in my mind when I need to recall things.

I did well listening in class and only taking a few lines of notes. Some people write so feverishly that they can't actually take in what's being said. I'm also a big believer in simply reading the material. I usually read it once, then again the day of or the day before the exam. I never bothered to print out PowerPoints or memorize facts. I only focused on the big picture. I didn't always know the answers to test questions, but I had enough understanding to guess correctly.

Specializes in Hospice.

I took notes in class, I read the chapter and highlighted what I thought was important or interesting and included those in my notes. I then rewrote my notes, and then typed my notes out and printed them off. I know it may seem like Overkill but the repetition is what helped me the most.

Thanks for all the advice! It's really helpful to see the different methods that work for people!

I have found that memorizing for certain material/classes isn't beneficial so to help studying I would do something like a Q&A with a family member (usually kids since we would both learn together). For example, if they gave me CHF I would touch on key points in explaining the disease, symptoms, treatments, factors related and etc. This would give me the opportunity to talk out my solution so I would better remember the information and correct any weak points I may need to identify.

Specializes in CTICU/ER/Dialysis.

Personally, I like to read the text, then after I did practice questions on Uworld. You can study all you want, and memorize the material, but you still need to know how to apply it (ie. critically think).. Thats just what worked for me though.

I don't go to nursing school yet. But what I found that worked for me later on in college is recording lectures (if the professor allows you to do so). I would record all lectures (except labs), take notes on the relevant PPT slides while re-listening to the lectures, and then study just those notes. I figured that professors generally test you on information that they talk about in class so only studying everything they say helped me save time from reading the text (unless I really needed more details or images to assist my studying). Recording lectures meant that even if I spaced out in class or I initially understood something but then forgot about it, I had the opportunity to go back and re-listen to the professor.

Just some advice. (1) If you have a lot of classes, then you can listen to only the most important ones that you struggle with in order to save time. (2) You can listen on 1.5X or 2X speed to get through the lectures faster. (3) This method isn't really effective for classes, like organic chemistry, if the professor has to point out *all* the little things/steps on a PPT slide (you don't know where or what the professor is pointing to). (4) Some people like to listen to their recorded lectures while driving or walking to/from school. I personally need to listen intently in order to grasp the information. Try it out! Hope this helps!

This is the advice I have given to others asking about how to study:

My first advice would be to you is to find out your learning style. Are you a visual, verbal, social, etc. If you are a visual learner concept maps, pictures, images, etc. would help. If you are a verbal learner, listening to recordings of lectures would help, reading content aloud, using mnemonics would help. Kinesthetic/tactile learner (like me) needs to write things down. Google learning style and take a quiz to find out what type you are. This link also provides some info:

https://allnurses.com/general-nursing-student/keys-to-studying-840132.html

How I Studied:

First, how I took notes:

Before class, read each chapter you will be going over. Don't worry about taking notes. Just read each chapter through so you have an idea of what the instructor will be talking about during lecture. (it's hard to take notes if you don't know the info - if you don't know the info, then you'll think everything is important and be writing waaaay too much. If you have at least a little idea of the info, you can at least get kind of an idea of what is important and where to start). I know a lot of people say that you can't read every single chapter for every single class, but I didn't think it took that much time to just read through each chapter. It was when I tried to read through every single chapter and make notes on every single chapter that was time consuming. Just reading through was quick and easy.

During class....TAKE NOTES!! Take lots of notes. Don't be afraid to ask questions - ask as many as you need, talk to the instructor after class if you need to. Don't worry about the notes looking good (we'll worry about that later) - Just scribble down everything you need to. (my notes were a mess after class - I would write them fast and think of things after the fact and make notes on the sides and squish something between other things)

After class: If possible, right after class (or as soon as you can but try not to wait)...type up your notes from class make them well-organized. Fill in anything you left blank, use your book to supplement things, add to things that you didn't understand, find examples in your book that help you understand, etc. Make this as neat as possible. This is what you will use as your study guide. Read through it, write it out over and over again, whatever helps you retain the information best. (Personally, I need to write things out in order for them to stick in my head, so I would type up the notes nice and neat, then I would write em out over and over again until I felt I had a good handle on them).

Now...when I took notes...I tended to end up with PAGES! So, after I had spent time studying them and studying them and studying them and learned everything I could from it, there became a point where studying them all was just wasting time because I learned all I could from those notes, so I would go on to my final step. Of course, there was always some things from those PAGES of notes that I had a hard time with still. So, I would take a piece of paper, then I would take the key concepts from those PAGES of notes and I would write just a few words or something to remind me about each one. You are only putting in what you DON'T KNOW. This ends up breaking our notes down from everything to only what you still need to review before the exam. The key here is to not go over 1 page. If you have, then you have put too much information – either you haven't learned everything you can from the PAGES of notes, or you just didn't condense the info enough. So, if you need to, go back and review those PAGES. If not, just focus on condensing what you have down more.

Doing this helped me actually RETAIN the information. I didn't just cram it into my head for the exam and then forget about it to learn the stuff for the next exam – because then, I would have to review EVERYTHING when it came time for the final exam. Instead, I used this method so I could actually LEARN AND RETAIN everything. So, when it came time for the final exam, I just needed to key concepts and the stuff we just learned.

Hopefully this helps you some. Again, my best advice for you is if you don't know your learning style, find out. You can take quizzes online and find out your type of learning style. Knowing your learning style will really help. It will help you focus in on the best way to study for YOU. Like I said earlier, for me, writing things down is best. If I write it down, it sticks in my head much better than when I hear it or watch videos. Some people are visual learners, and do best with images and pictures and can draw diagrams that help explain things. You just need to learn what works for you!

+ Add a Comment