ADRN aka 2 year RN

U.S.A. California

Published

I've been an LVN since 2012. I was pre-med years ago but only finished 3 years of college because I ended up with a great career in entertainment production. After the layoffs and economic disasters, I was laid off in 2010 and had to go through a for profit LVN school because the community colleges had waiting lists of 2 years for ADRN, and I needed a job ASAP being a single dad. So now I have student loans I can't afford, it's live or pay my loans and be hungry and homeless. I am now trying to get into a 32 unit RN program for LVNs. I tried a for profit school who discouraged me from taking the 32 unit option, they want me to take the 3 year BSN, they told me no one has taken their 32 unit option. I cannot afford to lose that much work to go to school for 3 years. The counselor told me the only reason they offer the 32 unit RN for LVNs is because the CA Nursing Board says they require it so that the RN shortage can be filled. I know I'm not the only one here who wants to further their nursing career but face obstacles like this. Theoretically a 32 unit option should take 12 to 18 mos, which I can tackle. There should be more programs for LVNs who are working and want to further their careers. Or better yet, help us get our RN so we can make more and add to the state coffers.

+ Add a Comment