Does anyone actually like nursing?

World Canada

Published

I was accepted into a RN BScN and RPN program in Ontario and I've seen so many posts with unhappy nurses :(

I'm wondering if anyone actually likes being a nurse?

Sounds like you have clear understanding of your desire to enter nursing. And as others have commented there are vast opportunities with nursing and healthcare.

After 25 years of being a RN with various different roles, I have learned, and not from nursing school :-)), be very clear on what you from your career, (you have full control of what you career will look like); there will be many opportunities determine if those opportunities are for you; devise a plan/blueprint for your career and life. If you don't, your employer won't and friends and family won't and then you might find yourself living someone else dream.

Have a fantastic time learning and making a difference in people's lives!

Specializes in Dialysis (currently). Previously MedSurg.

When I first graduated out of nursing school, I loved it! ... For a short while. I worked at one of the biggest hospitals in the city so I saw a lot of cool things & there were many learning opportunities. I worked as a medsurg float for 2 years (floated to ER, ortho, neuro, plastics, GI/GU, spinal rehab, ICU to care for ward ready pts, vascular, and medicine) then in neuro for 3 years after that. As the years went by I became more and more exhausted & stressed b/c of the work overload, the night shifts, and constantly being understaffed. I grew to hate nursing because of it & was starting to regret getting into nursing. Only reason I stayed as long as I did in medsurg is b/c of the staff I worked with (they became like my 2nd family who I absolutely loved) BUT I soon realized it’s not worth staying if it affects your mental & physical health. 

However, the beauty of nursing is there are so many different areas you can work in. I changed specialties & got a position in dialysis. Had to take a 9 week course (which was a breeze honestly) and I’m 1000000% happier now & have fallen in love with nursing again. The hours are better — I do 8 hr shifts, but 12s are available as well. Don’t have to work Sundays. Don’t have to work Xmas & New Years. We’re never understaffed. I have maximum of 3 patients at a time (compared to the 6-7 in medsurg). I never have to stay past my shift. 

I realize I’m replying to this post 2 years after you posted it. How’s nursing school going for you? How are you liking it?

+ Add a Comment