Two week notice

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am currently working out my two week notice and now my grandmother has been placed on life support. She's my last living relative. I don't want to be placed on do not rehire, but I desperately need to be with her. Looking to fly out of state tomorrow. This has all happened in the last two hours. Do I call in to work ? Will that make me unhireable?

MrNurse(x2), ADN

2,558 Posts

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

Explain your circumstances. Know that many idiots use these excuses all the time and have hardened the hearts of administrators. All you can do is beg compassion. Family is forever, a job is just that. Would you really want to work for a place that would do that to you?

OldDude

1 Article; 4,787 Posts

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
Explain your circumstances.

Exactly...and tell them you are concerned about being placed on a do not rehire list, in writing; be proactive and get outta there.

ruby_jane, BSN, RN

3,142 Posts

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Are you eligible for FMLA? Assuming grandma meets the criteria for "family," it will add a layer of protection for you. Probably best to contact HR and explain and ask what supportive documentation they require from you. Hang in there.

MrNurse(x2), ADN

2,558 Posts

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.
Are you eligible for FMLA? Assuming grandma meets the criteria for "family," it will add a layer of protection for you. Probably best to contact HR and explain and ask what supportive documentation they require from you. Hang in there.

Unfortunately, many employers mandate a specific number of shifts to fulfill that two week period, no PTO, no call outs. Previous idiots have made it impossible to live life those last weeks.

msannaa7711

14 Posts

Actually HR and my manager were both truly understanding.

+ Add a Comment