"I am a nurse!"

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Ever have a patient or family member who, the first thing out of their mouth is "I am a nurse!". Then they proceed to brag about their illustrious career, showing off their knowledge, grandstanding and expecting the red carpet treatment. They fiddle around with monitors, turn off pumps and saline lock IVs, crossing boundaries right and left.

Then they announce that they love it here and plan on applying! You go to the BON site, verify their status, then email your supervisor ASAP!

klone, MSN, RN

14,790 Posts

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

No, I've never had that happen

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Ever have a patient or family member who, the first thing out of their mouth is "I am a nurse! announce that they love it here and plan on applying! You go to the BON site, verify their status, then email your supervisor ASAP!

I have put the kibosh on an agency nurse from Hell who attempted to apply for a full time position after her contract was up at WRMC (Wrongway Regional Medical Center).

WRMC will hire just about anyone with a pulse and an RN behind their name and I like to think that my letter of condemnation had something to do with her not being hired.

Do you have such a situation that you'd like to share with us Emergent?

cleback

1,381 Posts

Nope. Haven't had that happen. Generally I find the medical family members wanting to be hands on with care, in a good way. Guess I've been lucky.

Emergent, RN

4,243 Posts

Specializes in ER.
I have put the kibosh on an agency nurse from Hell who attempted to apply for a full time position after her contract was up at WRMC (Wrongway Regional Medical Center).

WRMC will hire just about anyone with a pulse and an RN behind their name and I like to think that my letter of condemnation had something to do with her not being hired.

Do you have such a situation that you'd like to share with us Emergent?

I'd love to share juicy details but probably shouldn't. Lol, the ER doc said he'd call the police if the wife didn't start behaving.

Too bad I can't share the details!!! The medics had some good ones from the ambulance ride as well.

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Ever have a.. family member who, the first thing out of their mouth is "I am a nurse!".

I make a habit out of not informing medical professionals that I'm a nurse when seeking services for myself or a loved one.

I fear they'll think I know more than I really do.

Like Tim Allen's character and the ERP in the movie "Wild Hogs":

" Well, Mr. Madsen...

- Dr. Madsen...

Oh, really? Great. Then I can

put this a little more simply.

You had a catecholamine-induced,

super-ventricular tachyarrhythmia.

I'm actually a dentist, so I

have no idea what you just said."

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

I'd love to share juicy details but probably shouldn't.

Too bad I can't share the details!!!

Sounds like a little HIPAA fear!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26411[/ATTACH]

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

No, I've never had that happen

Wow. Thanks for sharing, klone.

smf0903

845 Posts

Actually had this happen about a month ago. I showed them the door.

OldDude

1 Article; 4,787 Posts

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

We'll have them bring their kids into urgent care, wearing their name badge from where they work, displayed in a prominent location. I want to run and hide but I can't. Smile and wave!

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Actually had this happen about a month ago. I showed them the door.

Sort of like Monty Hall on "Let's Make A Deal"?

attachment.php?attachmentid=26413&stc=1

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

We'll have them bring their kids into urgent care, wearing their name badge from where they work, displayed in a prominent location. I want to run and hide but I can't. Smile and wave!

Oh, OldDude, I never wear my badge in public:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26414[/ATTACH]

+ Add a Comment