I want to quit during orientation...

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I've had 5 days of orientation so for at this LTC facility only one day on the unit I'd actually be working.. I hate it, most of all hate how i cant really care for my patients. It feels unbearable, its 35 patients. So many accuchecks,blood pressures and orders and things to do. You're always interrupted by Doctors , management and everyone thinks nurses do it all. Its 5 12 hrs a week. I haven't been properly trained on the policies and procedures. I FEEL BAD about wanting to quit but its how i feel. I don't know if its fear but i'm scared of jeopardizing my license, I'm scared of making a mistake. Its not a bad facility everyone is friendly and like family. But honestly i'm the youngest there and feel i'm not assertive enough and won't be a good fit. Any advice?

Have you looked into clinics or school nursing? Both hire LPN's in my area. The pay is not great, but the jobs are available. Another area to consider is assisted living or memory care facilities, many hire exclusively LPN's as staff nurses utilizing the RN's only for management. Maybe even, don't give up on LTC. It's very rewarding if you can get used to the resident to staff ratios. The trick is to find a good facility, trust me they do exist.

I applied to all the clinics, I interviewed at one facility it's 24:1. Mon-Fri also I'm suppose to be getting a call back from an assisted living by Wednesday next week. Only thing the LTC is wanting an answer now and I'm waiting to interview with the assisted living. I hope I find something I love.

Specializes in NICU/Mother-Baby/Peds/Mgmt.
Its 5 one week then 3 the next week

So 96 hours in a pay period? Not 80 like most jobs or 84 like most 12 hour shift nursing jobs? Ooh boy, start job hunting, cuz you're gonna burn out fast!

Have you looked into clinics or school nursing? Both hire LPN's in my area. The pay is not great, but the jobs are available. Another area to consider is assisted living or memory care facilities, many hire exclusively LPN's as staff nurses utilizing the RN's only for management. Maybe even, don't give up on LTC. It's very rewarding if you can get used to the resident to staff ratios. The trick is to find a good facility, trust me they do exist.

Urgent care just called me for an interview!

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.
Yes I can't find anything else but home Care. But as a lpn I feel ltc is my only choice

Home care and hospice both utilize LPNs. Maybe do that and take a per diem at a LTC place? Not only that but I believe some clinics also use LPNs.

Is 7 12hs a week and off duty next week fair. Not tried before. Is it possible. Others said I'd fair.

Home care and hospice both utilize LPNs. Maybe do that and take a per diem at a LTC place? Not only that but I believe some clinics also use LPNs.

I got an interview at urgent care and thinking of doing home care and ltc per diem. The urgent care is connected through the hospital which has hospice (my dream job but they're not hiring at the moment) do you think home care is a good idea for a new grad. They have pediatric and geriatrics.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.
I got an interview at urgent care and thinking of doing home care and ltc per diem. The urgent care is connected through the hospital which has hospice (my dream job but they're not hiring at the moment) do you think home care is a good idea for a new grad. They have pediatric and geriatrics.

First good luck with the Urgent Care job, I hope you get it! Second, sorry but no I don't think home care is a good idea for a new grad. There is nobody to consult when you have questions, you are truly on your own to make decisions. That's a scary position to be in until you have the experience to feel comfortable and confident in your practice.

First good luck with the Urgent Care job, I hope you get it! Second, sorry but no I don't think home care is a good idea for a new grad. There is nobody to consult when you have questions, you are truly on your own to make decisions. That's a scary position to be in until you have the experience to feel comfortable and confident in your practice.

Thx I just hope to find my niche. I really love nursing home but hate ltc.

nice post.

+ Add a Comment