Nautoropath ND as a preceptor?

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Specializes in Critical Care.

My school wants to place me with a naturopathic doctor ND as my preceptor for this semester. Is this BS or am I over reacting? I feel this is not appropriate. Please tell me if I'm making a big deal out of nothing. My concerns? I am not studying homeopathic medicine, i'm am in an FNP program.

Specializes in Family practice, emergency.

I am an FNP who works in an FQHC clinic with a couple of naturopaths (we have NPs, MDs, residents/students of all sorts). One of them is the least crunchy provider I have ever met. The other one is slightly more crunchy but is our go to for women's health and contraception. I do like to hear alternative methods and to be familiar with pts that use CAM - like what the heck are people taking elderberry for? One semester should not be that bad, it will be dependent on the provider, and your efforts in learning (as well as clinic support). Also, if there are other providers there it is likely a collaborative environment that can teach a lot. I do hope that you will train mostly with NPs, but I think the future of healthcare education will have a lot more crossover between fields. Good luck!

Specializes in Assistant Professor, Nephrology, Internal Medicine.

Personally I feel like this is a bit strange. I've never heard of this in school before, did they give you a reason why this would be a better choice than a physician or NP? If it is merely out of convinence for them, I would refuse it if they don't give you solid reasoning backed with proof.

I would not accept a Naturopath as my preceptor. They practice alternative medicine. NPs are trained to practice conventional medicine. Therefore, I would think, NDs cannot precept NPs. I know my school only allowed MDs/DOs and NPs.

Specializes in Assistant Professor, Nephrology, Internal Medicine.

I think my program would have laughed at the thought of a ND preceptor.

I recommend you verify that those hours count towards your degree program. Also check with the state board of nursing if those hours would count. In my state they would not.

From a learning perspective, you would gain some great information, but I question whether it would prepare you for passing the boards. The Boards focus heavily on national guidelines, and ND do not operate off the national guidelines.

Specializes in ER, progressive care.

That is very strange. Maybe being with an ND as part of a specialty rotation could be doable. At my school, we were allowed an optional speciality rotation for 40 hours. You could learn a lot because patients are all about alternative medicine treatments and herbal preparations these days; however, I would be totally against that if I had to be with an ND for an entire semester. I don't see how that is going to help with passing your boards.

My program also only allowed MD/DO/PA/NP as preceptors.

+ Add a Comment