Going back to LTC/SNF?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I've been an RN for 6 years (ADN) with 3 years experience combined in 2 SNF/LTC facilities and one sub-acute rehab.

I have been away from the bedside for a year doing private duty. I like PDN but I 1) took a HUGE paycut for it, and 2) my FT peds case kid probably only has a few more months to live if that. This has been a dream family to work with, as well as the agency. But, when my pt passes away, I will of course have to start a new case. I'm quite anxious about that for reasons that would be too long to explain. Bottom line, I need to make my old salary again.

I like LTC and Sub-acute Rehab......WHEN staff to pt ratio is reasonable. I always struggled in LTC, floating from unit to unit never learning the patients, thus never getting a routine down. I always left 3 hours past my pm shift. I spent almost 2 years in sub-acute rehab with admits and discharges with adequate staff/pt ratios and did pretty well until things starting changing in the facility. I won't get into it now as its a long story. Bottom line, I finally refused an assignment after 2 weeks having WAAAAY too many patients due to the changes. They claim I quit. I claim they fired me as I offered a handful of solutions to help me get through that shift but was denied and practically was shooed out the building.

So....my family desparately needs more money. Just ONE year toughing out a nursing home and our debt can get paid off. I have an interview for a ltc/SNF facility where my old friend/coworker now works. She says she has typically 15 patients, which sounds AMAZING. BUT....it is all paper. No EMR. I attempted a job once where it was paper MAR, and it was a disaster. Granted, that whole place was a disaster, so maybe paper MARS at other places are better? Please tell me this is so.

All the other facilities around here are dumps. I'm in an overly saturated nursing market in my area, and my old classmates work in these places. So I'm aware of how bad they are. Also with my own couple 1 day to 1 week stints in facilities where I RAN from. As is, this place is 45 minutes from home, but Im used to 100 mile commutes 3 days a week, so 30ish miles isn't a big complaint on my end.

Any thoughts? My experience is limited to Allergy, Asthma, Immunology office, LTC/SNF/Rehab and PDN. Of all ages, though, except babies. No hospital around here accepts ADNs. Going back to school when I can afford it.

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Paper Mars are not that bad...

I'm returning to SNF/LTC , as the skin system, wound care nurse.

Paper Mars are not that bad...

I'm returning to SNF/LTC , as the skin system, wound care nurse.

I love and thank God for you guys. Working in Rehab, there is NO WAY we could do all our own treatments.

+ Add a Comment