Nursing PreReqs

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

I am currently a psychology major at a four year university and am going to graduate in the fall or spring depending on what my advisor suggests for me to do. I only need to take five more classes for my degree. I have decided my best option would be to get my bachelor's degree in psychology and then pursue an accelerated BSN. The only problem is that I have yet to finish all of my nursing pre-reqs. I still need to take A&P 1 and 2, microbiology, and a nutrition course. My question is would it be better for me to take longer to graduate and try and fit in all of my pre-reqs before I graduate or take the spring/summer after graduation to take my pre-reqs at a community college. I can't take a nutrition course at my current university because it is only offered for students admitted into the nursing program. And the BSN programs I am interested in are fall start only so regardless I will not be able to start next spring.

My thought process was to try and get into an ADN program for a fall start, though it's going to be tight because applications are due soon.

Most applications are goi g to require you to have completed most or all of the prereqs, especially the science ones, before applying. So needing three science classes might not qualify you to apply.

My thought process was to try and get into an ADN program for a fall start, though it's going to be tight because applications are due soon.

Have you talked to an adviser or someone from the nursing department? I would definitely do that and see what they require and suggest asap. Some schools may accept you but others are very competitive and don't take anyone without having completed at least API with a grade of B, but you have to see for your school.

Good for you for thinking about this now. I have a B.S. in Public Health Sciences and it took me 5 years to decide on what I wanted to do next. Once I finally figured out that I wanted to do nursing, I had but no choice to take my pre-reqs at a community college and in retrospect, I am glad I didn't have a choice because it was much cheaper to do so at a community college! Plus, I was working full time already so the community college had evening classes, which catered to my schedule. I took 2 classes each semester and I was able to finish my prereqs within a year. I was even crazy enough to take Human Physio + Lab and Microbiology + Lab simultaneously in one semester. I got an A in physio and B in micro.

I was accepted into my ABSN program after the 2nd time I applied. I was told I was not accepted my first round because I had no experience so I started a nursing volunteer program at the hospital. I had two rotations under my belt when I was accepted the following Cohort. I will be starting my program in May and if all goes well, I'll graduate May 2019 with a BSN. Yep, that's a 12-month ABSN program with no breaks!

So in conclusion, the following is what I suggest: take the prereqs at a community college. Apply to that community college now so you can get a registration date. More than likely, you'll be stuck with a late registration since you're a new student. Find a volunteer program you can start or shadow a nurse and clock in those hours of bedside experience. This will definitely give you some valuable insight on whether or not you want to do nursing... furthermore, invest your time and money in an ABSN program.

Just want to reach out, since my story has some similarities to yours!

After my junior year of college (in a 4 year program), I recognized I was unsure where I was going with my life. I finished my psych major 1 semester later (dec 2014), which was great, because I saved one that final semester of tuition. After graduation I worked full time (not related to my psych major at all) while I considered next steps. After a year of that, I felt ready to go back to school for SOMETHING. I decided on either OT/PT/or nursing and took bio in fall 2015. I then took anatomy and physiology in summer 2016, and chemistry that fall. I applied for my ABSN program around that time and started one year later.

So my advice: If your school tuition is $$, like mine was, finish ASAP (unless you have a full scholarship or something wild like that). Pre reqs for me were around 10k (i took at public and private schools, whatever was convenient), but much cheaper than paying for that final semester of school. Bonus is that you will be able to work on the side if you are not a full time student.

I recognize that everyone's situation is different however, so what worked for me might not be right for you. Good luck!

+ Add a Comment