Mandatory Overtime

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Just a question as to what other nurses and management think. How much mandatory call is ok? When working 3-12 hour shifts or possibly 2 for part time people what is a reasonable # of 12 hour call shifts. Most likely they will be worked but if not worked you are still on call for the day to be in within 30 minutes if called.

Just a question as to what other nurses and management think. How much mandatory call is ok? When working 3-12 hour shifts or possibly 2 for part time people what is a reasonable # of 12 hour call shifts. Most likely they will be worked but if not worked you are still on call for the day to be in within 30 minutes if called.

None. I'd be willing to come in if a huge emergency that affected a massive number of people occurred, but day to day staffing should be under control and not my personal responsibility.

Agree none ,unless an emergency situation as described by sour lemon.

Agree, none. Why? Because places who want people to be on call do not want to actually pay for anyone to be at their beckon call.

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

We do have OT opportunities. No on-call though. If we have OT, then we are expected to work it and get paid for it. If not needed, we are call off. There is a sign up sheet down at HR for all floors. Of course, they will use float pool to fill any needs first though.

I usually do not volunteer for OT unless I see a really cute pair of shoes I want. :)

Our on-call was in 4-hour increments and the amount varied from month to month. Sometimes required to sign up for 2, sometimes 5.

+ Add a Comment