Licensing Process

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

I'm looking quite a bit ahead right now - but I know that the current rules are changing and I want to make sure that I don't make a dumb mistake now before I start school.

I am a SC resident (and have been for 20 years) - a compact state right?

I am potentially attending and will graduate from a GA University. I will be living at home and traveling daily so my residency status will not change. I am a career changer and have a mortgage... I don't plan to move but if I do - I'll stay in SC.

When the time comes and I graduate and take the NCLEX - how does all this work? I have the opportunity to work in both GA and SC. By the time I graduate, Georgia will be a compact state also correct? Do I just get my SC license and thats it? It doesn't really matter if I work in GA or SC?

I know I'm sort of putting the cart before the horse, but if going to a GA school is going to shoot myself in the foot, I'd rather reconsider now before all my applications are submitted.

Thank you for the assistance!!

The NLC (Nurse Licensure Compact) rules specify that you can only hold one "compact license" at a time, and it must be in your home (permanent residence) state. When you graduate, you apply for licensure in SC, and you can use that license to work in GA or any other compact state for as long as you want, the rest of your career if you want, as long as you maintain your permanent residence in SC.

Best wishes!

Specializes in Pedi.

Just so you know, even if Georgia wasn't a compact state, going to school there wouldn't be "shooting yourself in the foot." You can attend nursing school wherever you please and take NCLEX for licensure in South Carolina.

Just so you know, even if Georgia wasn't a compact state, going to school there wouldn't be "shooting yourself in the foot." You can attend nursing school wherever you please and take NCLEX for licensure in South Carolina.

Thank you! I didn't know this. That makes sense now that I think about it. My "duh" moment for the day!

The NLC (Nurse Licensure Compact) rules specify that you can only hold one "compact license" at a time, and it must be in your home (permanent residence) state....

Best wishes!

Thank you so much for explaining. One less thing on my to-do list to worry about now. I really appreciate your help!!

+ Add a Comment