APRN question

Nurses Recovery

Published

Hi All!

I have been lurking on this site for a while, but finally got the nerve to post! I was (and still am) sure that case managers etc browse this site for info about Peer Assistance participants, and I didn't want to give myself away to the "Powers that Be" currently in control of my license. However, just telling my story and asking for advice will give away to my case managers who I am if I post how many years I have, or what state I currently practice in. But I really have a lot of questions.... So Here Goes.

I am currently in Texas and am under a 5 year contract...so it goes without saying that I am an NP because there are SOOOO few of us in Texas under contract, and NP's in TX get 5 years regardless (from what I understand). I was referred for ETOH use even though I never used at work or compromised patient safety by showing up hung over. I was drinking more than "acceptable" by report of a family member, due to the recent horrific deaths of 2 very close family members. No BON disciplinary action, no legal problems, not even a speeding ticket on my record. YET BAM!! here I am in TPAPN. But I certainly cannot dispute the fact that this referral most likely kept me from heading down a terrible path of ongoing alcoholism.

I know from reading other posts that I am not the only NP under contract, so my question is, did your monitoring board do a PETH or hair test "randomly" or in order to reinstate your prescriptive authority? My RX authority will be allowed to be reinstated in a few weeks if all goes well. I'm just trying to budget accordingly, as I understand those tests are pretty costly.

Thank you all for your support!

Specializes in OR.

Welcome to our little corner. Not being either an NP or from TX, I can't answer your main question but regarding the concern as to wether the "powers that be" browse this site. I don't know. I can certainly see where that bit of paranoia come from given that we all feel like we live under a microscope anyway. Admittedly, I have had that thought myself. I don't know that they do, but it would not shock me. As to figuring out who is who, in what program and matching them with what participant....depending of how detailed a person gets, I suppose.

I don't think they could do a darn thing about it because free speech is hey, free speech. I don't know the outcome but I think there was some kerfluffle in the past about someone wanting AllNurses to turn over some records that would identify people and they refused and the refusal prevailed on those grounds.

There's a lot of good support here and I am pretty sure there is someone who can answer your question.

I sent you a PM.

Thank you Big Blondie, but since Im new to this site Im not sure how to recieve or reply to PMs. Any advice?

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.
Thank you Big Blondie, but since Im new to this site Im not sure how to recieve or reply to PMs. Any advice?

Maybe some of the admin.... Tell her how many post one needs to do to be able to receive PM....... I honestly have forgotten....

best wishes & congratulations on your progress

I figured out how to receive PMs. But I must have 15 "quality Topics" posted before I can reply to PM's. Thank you all for your help!

Those 15 posts will happen faster than you realize once you start posting here! About the TPAPN case managers browsing these posts, do you really think so? I've def thought about that of course, and try to stay away from posting anything that would get me in trouble! BUT I also thought that I've heard each case manager has over a hundred nurses they're responsible for, and I assume there are probably other recovery-related nursing websites similar to this one (aren't there?), so I always figured they wouldn't even bother, since it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, considering how many posts there are here. Of course, if they searched on the keyword "TPAPN" that would certainly narrow things down for them. Hmmm. Anyway, my case manager is actually a pretty good guy, from the emails I've exchanged with him. We even joke around a bit by email. Of course that'd change if I stepped over the many many boundaries set by TPAPN! But so far I've had a good experience by phone and email with my case manager. At least compared to what I've heard other people say about theirs.

I am an NP in TX in my 4th year. My drug of choice according to the forensic work up is alcohol. I suppose they are correct. Cocaine just helped me drink more. I have never had hair or blood sample taken. I have been completley sober since day 1 (not the day before) and have never tested postive for anything. I "think" if you test positive for etoh, the next test will be ETG (urine). If you test positive for that you will likely need to submit blood or hair. As long as you're cool, you don't have to worry about it.

I don't recall my prescriptive privileges being affected. I could not handle narcotics, per TPAPN order, which is fine because i don't "handle" narcotics. I let my DEA lapse when I lost my job as a result of my alcoholism. My subsequent job didn't require the use of DEA. I don't need DEA with my current job either. But I have been prescribing since day one of TPAPN if my memory serves me. Although, there may have been a 30-90 day stretch where possibly i could not prescribe. If that were the case, I'm sure I called it under physician's name.

+ Add a Comment