Will there be a huge turf war between PA and NP?

Specialties NP

Published

Will there be a huge turf war between pa and NP? Such as will you see PA being the provider of choice or NP being the provider of choice all competing for same jobs? Which career do you see having the brighter future between the two? If I was a doctor that is in charge of hiring it seems more advantageous to hire a PA while if I was a hospital/manager or not a doctor it would be better to hire a NP. What are your thoughts?

Then you have a state like Michigan, where PAs actually have more authority than NPs. It's pretty dismal right now. PAs have their own DEA # and can prescribe without physician oversight (must still practice under supervision, though). NPs can't have a DEA # and can only prescribe non-schedule drugs independently. Everything else requires the physicians signature. NPs have to work under direct supervision (no collaborative agreement). NPs also are not recognized as providers and must bill their services under the supervising physician. This is why I want to locum tenens in other states after I get some experience as an NP.

We can have our own DEA number. We can't have a Michigan controlled substances license. That had to be routed through our collaborator. But like you said, most other privileges of independence arrest here yet.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

I don't see a turf war happening in my area. I refer all of my Dermatology referrals to a PA who works in the large Derm group here, and a large portion of my Ortho referrals go to a PA.

doubt it, once docs get tired of NPs the'll start hiring just PAs, which prob won't be hard since there are tons of PA schools out there and soon to be more applicants than jobs in many areas. docs will feed those they have on a "leash" so they dont run wild

+ Add a Comment