New Nurse Maybe Moving to Pittsburgh - Job Prospects?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi all! I'm a new grad as of December, and I did an externship in the ICU where I'm currently employed. I love it and want to stay in critical care but... my wife got into grad school in Pittsburgh and we're moving this summer. So I got some questions for any of y'all who work there, have been there, or maybe know what it's like!

1) Good hospitals to work at? A quick google tells me UPMC and Allegheny Health Network are the big ones in town. What's it like to get hired there? What sort of experience do they require? I have looked at job listings but we all know that those don't necessarily actually reflect reality.

2) What sort of credentials or experience might I need? I have my ACLS and five years' experience as a paramedic before becoming a nurse.

b) I did a paid externship with this unit during my final semester of nursing school - that means that in addition to my clinicals on the unit, I did an additional 168 paid hours there, plus many hours of class time from the hospital. This was in place of a conventional residency. Do you think I can put this as job experience on my resume? It might make the difference between having more than 6 months' experience or not.

3) Would being a member of ANA or AACN help me get a job?

4) What are the odds of getting to stay in critical care? I'm aware that I'm really lucky to be in the ICU as a new nurse, and it's mostly because of that externship. It's really important to me to continue on in critical care. If that doesn't look likely, what are some other fields/specialties that would help me acquire complementary skills and experience, or lead back to the ICU?

Thank you all :)

CriticalJ

6 Posts

Anyone?

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

How's the murder rate these days? I thought about moving there as a new graduate, but the crime statistics were terrifying.

CriticalJ

6 Posts

Much less than like Detroit or Baltimore. You know, I live in San Antonio currently, which is supposed to be a violent city, and I've never once felt unsafe. I'm sure it's fine.

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

Much less than like Detroit or Baltimore. You know, I live in San Antonio currently, which is supposed to be a violent city, and I've never once felt unsafe. I'm sure it's fine.

San Antonio, Texas? I've lived there, too. Most violent crime in that city is domestic. I haven't looked into Pittsburgh for 8-9 years, so maybe things have changed? I loved the affordable, nice houses and seemingly great work opportunities, but the stranger on stranger violent crime was what steered me away. Detroit is another place I would never end up ...don't know much about Baltimore.

Specializes in OB.

My husband is from Pittsburgh and I think it's a really great city. I would never have known that it's thought of as a violent area, that's not been my experience there at all, and we go a couple times a year. The cost of living is crazy low. I don't know about the job market, you'd probably get more info from the Pennsylvania Nursing forum (at the top under "U.S.").

+ Add a Comment