Abusive management

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

Abusive management and back biting among coworkers has me with one foot out the door at my hospital job.

Any hints as to how to figure out if the next gig has the same problems before I take a new position?

I don't want to go from bad to worse. Where I am right now, the pay is excellent and we have a union. The culture sucks so bad though.

Specializes in ED.

During the interview, you could ask how long on average nurses stay on the job in that unit. Or ask for a name of someone that works there and talk to them.

Working agency on some of your days off will let you see what other places are like. Taking a contract for several weeks would let you see better.

Honestly, if you stay somewhere long enough, you are going to see some biting going on. Try to be nice to everyone but not ‘friends'. Go to work, do your job, and leave your job in the lobby on your way home so that it doesn't take a toll on your personal life.

I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed as I've gotten older I don't give a rats behind what other people think about me. I contribute it to maturing and getting wiser with age (Im not old but it's been a while since I've been in my 20's also). Someone can be a complete jerk and half the time I won't even notice it. They did and apologized. I looked at them confused because I didn't pay attention enough to notice they were acting that way...or I've just become desensitized over time. Let it roll. Life is too short and running every time our coworkers behave like middle schoolers is too stressful. They can bite me (pun intended). Most of the time it's not worth the bad energy to bite back.

Working agency on some of your days off will let you see what other places are like. Taking a contract for several weeks would let you see better.

Honestly, if you stay somewhere long enough, you are going to see some biting going on. Try to be nice to everyone but not ‘friends'. Go to work, do your job, and leave your job in the lobby on your way home so that it doesn't take a toll on your personal life.

I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed as I've gotten older I don't give a rats behind what other people think about me. I contribute it to maturing and getting wiser with age (Im not old but it's been a while since I've been in my 20's also). Someone can be a complete jerk and half the time I won't even notice it. They did and apologized. I looked at them confused because I didn't pay attention enough to notice they were acting that way...or I've just become desensitized over time. Let it roll. Life is too short and running every time our coworkers behave like middle schoolers is too stressful. They can bite me (pun intended). Most of the time it's not worth the bad energy to bite back.[/quote

I agree. But when they start throwing you under the bus its time to get out before you get run over.

I really appreciate what Ive heard so far. Id still like to hear more ideas about how to spot red flags when Im interviewing.

+ Add a Comment