Opportunity of a Lifetime

Specialties Infusion

Published

Hello everyone! I am a newer nurse, just a little over 1 year of med/surg nursing. I recently interviewed for a position with my hospital as an outpatient Infusion RN. I was invited back to shadow an RN, which I haven't done yet but is coming up soon. I am extremely nervous, because I am still newer. I know I haven't seen everything. I feel comfortable with starting IV's, medications, and administering blood products. They do not do Chemo therapy, other than for bladder ca (which I have not done). I am just really nervous. Feel like a new grad again! This would be a great opportunity for me and my family, I do not want to pass it up bc I am nervous. Just looking for some advice and encouragment. Orientation is just 4wks, enough to get used to the unit. Thanks in advance!

Kitiger, RN

1,834 Posts

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics.
... I am extremely nervous, because I am still newer. I know I haven't seen everything. I feel comfortable with starting IV's, medications, and administering blood products. They do not do Chemo therapy, other than for bladder ca (which I have not done). I am just really nervous. Feel like a new grad again! This would be a great opportunity for me and my family, I do not want to pass it up bc I am nervous. Just looking for some advice and encouragement.

Feeling nervous before starting a brand new job is normal. You say you feel like a new grad again. Normal. I know your previous post talked about how short-staffed your med-surg job was, and how you didn't get a lot of emotional support at home. Did you ever talk to a counselor? (A counselor could help you prepare for the new job - could help you get into a better mindset.) On the other hand, just getting away from the short-staffed old job might be all you need to relax.

You stuck it out for a year in the med-surg job. Good for you! You've had a chance to cement your knowledge. You have the skills. You're ready for something new.

Go for it! :)

MrsJt

47 Posts

Thank you for your reply and encouragment! I am ready for a change. Just being off of nightshift I think will make a world of difference for me. I did not end up seeking counseling, but I have been confiding in a nursing buddy (someone I've known for yrs that I do not work with). I am extremely proud of myself for sticking it out. I have learned a lot on my unit, but I am just burnt out. My husband is being suppoortive in my choice to leave my unit. It is less hrs, so I am surprised by his encouragment. At this point, I think he just wants me to be happy and knows that this kind of opportunity doesn't come a long everyday. Keepimg ky fingers crossed everything goes well when I shadow next week!

IVRUS, BSN, RN

1,049 Posts

Specializes in Vascular Access.
Thank you for your reply and encouragment! I am ready for a change. Just being off of nightshift I think will make a world of difference for me. I did not end up seeking counseling, but I have been confiding in a nursing buddy (someone I've known for yrs that I do not work with). I am extremely proud of myself for sticking it out. I have learned a lot on my unit, but I am just burnt out. My husband is being suppoortive in my choice to leave my unit. It is less hrs, so I am surprised by his encouragment. At this point, I think he just wants me to be happy and knows that this kind of opportunity doesn't come a long everyday. Keepimg ky fingers crossed everything goes well when I shadow next week!

Well, IV therapy is the most invasive procedure we as nurses perform on a patient. Some take this too lightly. And, please remember, IV therapy is much, much more than "sticking" someone. I'd encourage you to do some research BEFORE you shadow: 1. Know the four types of Central Lines 2. Know where a central line must terminate before being able to call it a central line. 3. Know the difference between a short term peripheral IV and a midline. 4. Rationalize why a clinician should choose one IV catheter over another for placement. ( pH of drug, Osmolarity of drug, Length of therapy, age of patient, etc) ... these are a few food for thought tips.

MrsJt

47 Posts

Luckily, I am familiar with a lot of central lines, as well as ports. We get a lot of patients that are getting chemo and patients that just cannot keep peripheral sites, due to the condition of their veins. I do have some experience with those, not a completely "new" nurse.

momofm1998

58 Posts

I am excited for you for this opportunity. Please consider either joining the Infusion Nurses Society, the Society for Vascular Nursing or the Association for Vascular Access. You have so many paths of greatness to take now. Learn all you can. There is a lady of immense expertise and abilities who teaches infusion therapy and all things related to it. Kay Coulter at InfusionKnowledge.com in Florida. She is amazing! You can order materials from her to study or can attend classes. I wish you well and much success. So happy for you!

MrsJt

47 Posts

Thank you! I was offered the position and I am so excited and nervous! But this will be a great opportunity for me and the women I will work with are wonderful and so helpful! I will be sure to look into those resources! Thank you for the info, I had no idea those resources existed!

+ Add a Comment