Should I join the ANA or other pro nursing association?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

I'm a BSN student graduating in June. One of my instructors suggested I join a professional nursing association in what I may be interested in, e.g. AACN, and attending a conference or two. I haven't done so because I'm not exactly sure what specialty I will pursue. I'm also wary of putting, e.g., AACN on my resume when I will be applying to jobs and new grad programs that aren't critical care; I'm afraid the employer may see that as an indication I would want to move on once I get the minimum amount of experience, thus making me a less desirable hire.

I figure joining the ANA is a safe bet because it's general, but my question is whether it will be helpful on the resume. I figure at worst it won't hurt but I'm wondering if it's worth the money. The primary purpose of joining anything is to enhance my hirability for that first job.

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks in advance.

When we discussed this at work when I was new, the oldsters said something along the lines of "what did ___ ever do for me? That is $ XXX I can use for my family instead." Wait until you have settled into a specialty to think about an appropriate organization, one that is active in your area. Then be active and you will find opportunities for networking.

+ Add a Comment