I feel like Oprah...

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psych, Peds, Education, Infection Control.

So, as part of my duties in my most recent position (tune in another time when Audreysmagic, RN, waxes poetic upon the many positions she has held with her current employer), I order DME and some other medical supplies. I needed first aid kits for our outpatient location, transport vans, and the units, so I went to put in an order.

After a brief consult with customer service at our vendor, I determined that said kits each came in their own little plastic box, exactly as I wanted! So I ordered 10.

Fast forward...today, I'm given 10 boxes...of first aid kits. (With six in each.) I'd send some back, but my supplies have a habit of disappearing, so if I can find a place to store the extras, I'm just as happy to have them on hand. And in the meanwhile, I'm going to every department who might POSSIBLY have a use for one (for staff or patients)...."You get a first aid kit! YOU get a first aid kit! YOU ALL GET FIRST AID KITS!"

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Let's see...First Aid Kits? CHECK!...what next is on the list?

Hand Sanitizer:woot:

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

How does your employer perceive you ordering more than needed.... No offense, health care is a business!

How does your employer perceive you ordering more than needed.... No offense, health care is a business!

Understood. Our accounting folks are very good about reminding us about that! :) Which is why my first instinct was to send back the others, but it was determined I should keep them so we wouldn't need to re-order later, because we do need to replace them as they're used and these ones take awhile to get. And the best part of this to me is, I can't just order willy-nilly. I basically "order" by submitting a order of what I want/need, and it goes through other people to be approved. Fortunately, I use my powers wisely, so I guess no one questioned that I NEEDED this many, they just figured I did. (Short answer - that's part of WHY this is so funny to me...if anyone thought at any point in the process I DIDN'T need so many, they'd have asked me about it.)

Needless to say, when I ordered more face masks today, I did triple check that my "box of 50" meant exactly that, fifty masks in one small-ish box, not 50 boxes with fifty masks each... ;-D

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

Like Oprah? I was thinking somebody else, Audrey Smagic:

I'm going to every department who might POSSIBLY have a use for one (for staff or patients)...."You get a first aid kit! YOU get a first aid kit! YOU ALL GET FIRST AID KITS!"

attachment.php?attachmentid=26266&stc=1

Specializes in Home health, Addictions, Detox, Psych and clinics..

Omg that's so funny!! Love the post :) we all need someone like working with us haha.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
Like Oprah? I was thinking somebody else, Audrey Smagic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=26266&stc=1

Now that is a funny movie..."The Jerk," "the new phone book's here, the new phone book's here...there it is...my name... Navin Johnson...in print!"

Thanks for the laugh Davey - and Audrey!

I'm not sure how Davey keeps getting this security camera footage from my hospital.

Specializes in retired LTC.

Are there expiration dates on the First Aid Kits? Might not be cost-worthy is they're to be discarded being unused.

Also will they be opened and canabalized? Staff used to open our suture sets just for the scissors. So like will anyone else use an opened suture set?

I'm on the side of cost-effectiveness.

The only thing in them with expiration dates is the Neosporin... I'm actually probably going to send a box or two back, because NO ROOM IN STORAGE, but a lot of them have found (useful) homes, like staff offices. So all's well that ends well. And cannibalization is a constant battle I'm fighting with all supplies that come in packages.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I'm not sure how Davey keeps getting this security camera footage from my hospital.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26306[/ATTACH]

+ Add a Comment