Indications for Naltrexone?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

Can anyone here tell me why a teenager with no history of substance abuse of any kind would be prescribed Naltrexone. This is not homework but I recently encountered this situation and when I looked it up in my drug book could not find any uses other than it's uses in treating opioid addiction.

Just asking

Hppy

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Let me do a little research... Back in a bit

Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.

Impulsive eating disorders (since 1990th for bulimia, in and out of fashion but making comeback recently), impulse control disorders, neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia, Crohn's, MS and autoimmune hepatitis. Low dose naltrexone has antiinflammatory activity by unique pathway through microglial action.

Vivitrol, ReVia (naltrexone) dosing, indications, interactions, adverse effects, and more

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3363296/&ved=2ahUKEwj-yZSh7dPZAhXs5IMKHfmSA6MQFjABegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw0u-UJ4eU-G1xwqcSQYp8Ut

The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain

The only use not related to alcohol, or opiate use, I found, was one report related to

Self injury ?????

Maybe someone else could contribute.....

Atta girl Kattie.....thank you

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

Thanks to both of you - There was some degree of self injury involved so that may be it.

Hppy

Thanks to both of you - There was some degree of self injury involved so that may be it.

Hppy

I've seen it prescribed for self harm in my facility as well.

Specializes in LTC, Rehab.

Maybe someone else could contribute.....

I know Rex knows the answer.

I did ask "Rex"....... He says, the occasional mouse that may find itself in my utility room, where his organic, non gmo cat food is located should be on LDN, as they are definitely self injuring theirselves, by entering his. Domain... )) grins((

Specializes in Critical Care, Med-Surg, Psych, Geri, LTC, Tele,.

Naltrexone works by blocking opioid receptors in the brain. Opioids narcotics obviously produce opioids, this is why it's prescribed for opioid addiction. However, additionally, the brain produces endogenous opioids for other reasons..for example when drinking alcohol, overeating, cutting, etc.

This med works by decreasing / eliminating the opioid high that a person typically feels when engaging in these behaviors.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

I don't mean to quibble with you, djh, but Rex is the answer.

On the serious side of things, I've learned a lot from this thread. My heretofore knowledge was that naltrexone was used only for dependency issues!

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Impulsive eating disorders (since 1990th for bulimia, in and out of fashion but making comeback recently), impulse control disorders, neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia, Crohn's, MS and autoimmune hepatitis. Low dose naltrexone has antiinflammatory activity by unique pathway through microglial action.

You're awesome! So interesting.

+ Add a Comment