Update re transferring into CA Intervention Program (Maximus, PNAP & RAMP)

Nurses Recovery

Published

Hello all!

Wanted to post an update for all those that have questions about transferring to another state's monitoring program. This is relevant to NJ, PA & CA. I started this journey in RAMP-NJ & PNAP-PA Summer 2016. (Diverted in NJ and since I was concurrently licensed & working in PA ended up in PNAP as well, yay!) Anyway, right when this all started I was supposed to be moving to CA. I received a lot of helpful information from this forum about transferring and I wanted to give some help & hope to those like me who are interested.

A year later I was finally able to move to CA! On the CA BON website under the Intervention FAQ tab it states that unless you are in monitoring for "formal" disciplinary reasons (not voluntarily/confidential i.e. VRP vs DMU) you do NOT have to disclose to the CA BON that you are in monitoring. However, per PA BON monitoring contract guidelines you must enroll into your new state's monitoring program immediately upon arrival and in order to do that you need an active CA RN license and reside in CA. I moved to CA and had to wait 6 weeks before my CA license was granted. In the meantime, I was able to set up a test site in CA for PNAP while waiting for my license to come through in order to remain compliant with PNAP.

Upon receipt of my active CA RN license I enrolled into CA's Maximus Diversion Program. After waiting 3 month for a DEC meeting I was formally admitted into the program and given permission to work as a nurse but no patient care yet (I was working as a nurse in PA non-patient care but had patient care and controlled substance administration privileges). CA will send quarterly reports to PA & NJ so that I remain compliant.

I was previously told that none of my "time served" from the other monitoring programs will count for CA (boo!). RAMP is a straight 5 years & PNAP is 3.5 by the time you're formally released. The CA Maximus program is 3-5 years so hopefully when all is said and done all three programs (RAMP, PNAP & Maximus) will be done within the original 5 year timeframe and I'll be out of the penalty box with clean and sparkly licenses!

I don't screw up a lot but when I do it's big time :blackeye:. I am grateful & have learned many a lesson from this whole stinking experience. I did a ton of research, a lot of planning and asked a great many questions of my monitoring program case managers. None of this did I do on my own. I had a tremendous amount of support from God, hubby, family, friends, sponsor, fellowship, etc. Hope this helps someone and thanks to all those who answered my frantic questions when I was a newbie

Specializes in OR.

:wideyed:I just gotta ask a dumb question....do you have to pay monitoring fees like the monthly NSG costs and different P test charges for all 3 programs? I hope not, because that seems beyond the pale of rediculous. Or, be still my beating heart are these programs actually coordinating with each other in a fairly reasonable manner?

Not a dumb question. They do coordinate somewhat but I did play a large part in facilitating that coordination. I had to pay NJ $100 when I started with them but they haven't billed me since. That was back in 6/2016. 3 months later 9/2016 when I started with PA I had to pay them $300. I moved from PA to CA 9/2017. CA is $25 a month. So now I only pay CA. I did have to bridge twice with the urine testing. Once with NJ to PA and then once when I switched from PA to CA.

Specializes in OR.

Ah. Just curious. I'm not planning on leaving my state, partially because I'm scared of ever having to deal with this again (due to laziness, carelessness, incompetence, and just plain meanness) as my so- called "discipline" is public) and I'm just not interested in starting over. I'm too tired.

Ah. Just curious. I'm not planning on leaving my state, partially because I'm scared of ever having to deal with this again (due to laziness, carelessness, incompetence, and just plain meanness) as my so- called "discipline" is public) and I'm just not interested in starting over. I'm too tired.

Yep, me too. The idea of starting over somewhere else really appeals to me, but definitely after I'm out of TPAPN! And for me, "starting over" is two-fold: Not only do I want to start over somewhere I won't run into colleagues who heard about my history, (ER is such a small world) but I'm 1 year divorced after a 31 year marriage, so moving somewhere else really appeals to me.

But just to be clear, when I say "starting over" i mean it in terms of my LIFE, not in regard to monitoring! Omg, I would NEVER EVER do another monitoring program in another state.

If I'm finished with TPAPN then move to another state and try to get licensed there, I wouldn't have to do another monitoring contract would I??? Seriously, this just now occurred to me and now my heart is racing! Idk why I didn't think about this before, it's not like we haven't talked about it here on AN. But the only times I recall this coming up was when someone was only 1/2 way through when they moved. If I'm totally done, I wouldn't have to start over somewhere else would I??

Specializes in OR.

I should think it would depend on wether or not your discipline is public. When you went to get licensed in your new state and had to answer ‘has your license ever been suspended, disciplined, etc....' If there was never anything public or any suspension and you can answer no...I'd think you'd be good. If nobody screws anything up and your thing actually is confidential, when you finish successfully, I think it's a done deal.

Public discipline on the other hand.....sigh.....whole other litter box.

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for that. Mine is not public. Assuming I successfully complete TPAPN. Only 5 months to go!

I am licensed in NJ and CA, we are stationed in NJ, I started RAMP in May, might get stationed back in California, will they just let me transfer to Maximus pr do I have to complete both. I am almost done with 90/90. Alcohol, not diversion, not that it matters, license inactive not suspended. Thanks

You should be able to enroll in CA diversion but in order to do so your CA license must be active. You'll need the CA BRN to send quarterly updates to NJ RAMP. I don't know if completion of CA Diversion will satisfy NJ RAMP. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Thanks, my California license is active, I worry about set backs and repeating or added time. Or maybe I will only get 3.5 years rather than 5, haha like that would happen. Glass half full

It's 3-5 and yes, people get out in 3. They don't count time from other programs but they do take into consideration progress made. For instance, I was given permission to work right after my first DEC meeting and they did not make me repeat any treatment. (I did IOP and then aftercare for a year in PA.) depends on where you are in the process when you relocate. It is on a case by case basis.

+ Add a Comment