Single mom!!

Nurses LPN/LVN

Published

I just passed my NCLEX and will be applying for jobs starting next week. Based on what I've seen/heard its difficult to find an LPN position that starts at 6:30 or 7 am. I am a single mom and need to get my kids to daycare before work but I have yet to find a daycare that opens before 6 am.

So my question is, how do you single moms with an early start time do it? How do you get to work with a super early start time and still have your kids taken care of in the morning? I have been relying on my parents while I've been in school but they have both expressed to me the desire for less babysitting and wanting to have more time for themselves, which is totally understandable.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
I just passed my NCLEX and will be applying for jobs starting next week. Based on what I've seen/heard its difficult to find an LPN position that starts at 6:30 or 7 am. I am a single mom and need to get my kids to daycare before work but I have yet to find a daycare that opens before 6 am.

So my question is, how do you single moms with an early start time do it? How do you get to work with a super early start time and still have your kids taken care of in the morning? I have been relying on my parents while I've been in school but they have both expressed to me the desire for less babysitting and wanting to have more time for themselves, which is totally understandable.

Is there a neighbor you'd trust to get your kids to daycare? Perhaps someone you can trade babysitting duties with? How about a high school or college student who would help out for a fee? Some employers have day care on the premises -- something to check out when you're applying for jobs.

I, too, was a single mom when I started out as an LPN. I worked in doctor's offices where my hours were 8:00-5:00 or 8:30--5:30. I did turn down an interview with a place on the other side of Atlanta because I knew the traffic wouldn't make it feasible to get there on time and get home in time to pick him up. It helped that my son's daycare was an extended-hours facility, open from 6:00--midnight, but when he started school I had to be able to get him by 6:00 because after-school closed then. Good luck, it is possible, and you can make it happen!

+ Add a Comment