Infection Control

Specialties Geriatric

Published

Specializes in Gerontology, Med surg, Home Health.

I've always tried to use common sense with infection control matters. Most buildings I've run, the policy is: Contact Precautions...gown and glove if you are going to come in contact with the infected material. If someone has MRSA in a wound which is covered with a bandage, there is no need to gown up. The surveyors we had this week took issue with that. Anyone care to share what you do?

C Diff....gown and gloves while doing personal care but going in with a tray? Or a med? The roommate isn't gowned.

Specializes in LTC.

That's how I've always operated in the facilities I have worked in.

I fail to see the point in gowning up to bring a glass of ice water to a resident with MRSA of the urine when they have a Foley, or a bandaged wound (unless I'm going to change the dressing, of course.)

In fact, the last two facilities I worked at allowed residents to go to meals and activities so long as their infections were "contained" via Foley or bandaging.

I guess I was wrong as well.

I don't think either one of us is wrong....risk and benefit. The risk of contactin MRSA from a covered wound is tiny. The benefit is a more normal life for the resident.

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

I'm with you CapeCod......that is my practice

Specializes in LTC, Hospice, Case Management.

Does you policy support your practice? I would think that would cover you.

I work at a Level 1 teaching hospital and we still utilize contact precautions for all patients with MRSA.

Hospitals are quite different from Skilled Facilities. We are supposed to be resident centered and as home-like as possible.

+ Add a Comment