LPN license question...

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello. Not sure if this would be the proper place for this. If not, I apologize in advance. I'm trying to gather all the information I need. I am in an LPN program. The school I attend is in NJ. I live in NY so I guess when the time come to sit for the boards I would apply for NY. That part I get. After I graduate, my boyfriend and I are planning to move to Florida but he wanted to work a few months here and get experience. I was looking on Florida requirements and it looks like you have to have 2 years experience before you can transfer or endorse you license... So my question is what should I do? What do you suggest? When the time comes for the boards, can I apply to both states? Do I just apply to Florida? Can I even do that since I do not live in that state yet? I see Florida is part of the compact but New York is not.... Any suggestions would be great. Thank you so much

According to the Florida BON website:

Applicants are eligible for licensure by endorsement when they hold a valid license to practice professional or practical nursing in another state or territory of the United States

So it would appear you do not need two years experience to apply for endorsement. Give them a call if you're unsure. It's not worth guessing, and they're the only ones who can tell you for sure.

Wait until you graduate to see if you and your BF still want to go to FL or anywhere else for that matter. Or, get the initial license in the state you consider to be your home state, where you always intend to return to, in between any stints living elsewhere. In the meantime, continue to research and keep in step with, the requirements for any states you consider in the process of deciding where you will be eventually working.

+ Add a Comment