Orientation clothing question

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hey all, I have hospital orientation starting very soon, and I was wondering whether scrubs would be appropriate to wear? I asked HR and they said "street clothes" are okay, but would that seem unprofessional since I will be meeting my unit manager, other nurses, physicians, etc.? There is no patient contact during this time, it's just learning modules, presentations, etc.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Interpret 'Street clothes' as 'Business casual' and you should be fine.

NICU Guy, BSN, RN

4,161 Posts

Specializes in NICU.
Interpret 'Street clothes' as 'Business casual' and you should be fine.

Yes, business casual. As compared to clothes that you would wear while living on the street. Although, some homeless people dress better than people living in a home. :happy:

Anon101

82 Posts

Thank you!

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
Yes, business casual. As compared to clothes that you would wear while living on the street. Although, some homeless people dress better than people living in a home. :happy:

Oh- so you've seen my son on 'casual Friday'?? :)

Yes, business casual should be fine.

The question did make me chuckle, thinking back to my first job as a new grad RN. My whole cohor was so nervous about appearing professional, and we were joined by a single travel ED nurse who did not give a d*** and showed up in a t-shirt and sweatpants. Made me giggle every time I saw him.

allnurses Guide

Nurse SMS, MSN, RN

6,843 Posts

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

I run orientation at my facility. You would not be frowned on for wearing scrubs. You also would not be frowned on for wearing business casual.

+ Add a Comment