63 yr old I want to go back to work!

Nurses Retired

Published

I'm 63 and I've been an LPN for 28 yrs. I had some health issues that had me off from work for almost 3 years. So now it's been almost 7 years since I've actually practiced, except for 2-3 flu clinics. I took the nurse refresher course in 2015. I still couldn't find a job because I don't have any recent experience. To top it off I live in a place where I don't have any connections with anyone in the business. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

LTC/SNF may be your best begining

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

Pediatric Home Health / PDN. Very flexible, easy to break into.

Extended care home health agencies will take a person with a clear license and the ability to breathe. The fact that you have previous experience is only a plus. This would be an easier way to transition back since you will only be working with one patient.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

That's a great idea. Not sure what state she is in, but here in MN, she would find work.

I was in similar situation. I took nurse refresher course in Houston and it included skills and simulation labs, clinicals in varied sites ( I did 120 hours in total in clinic, hospice, geriatric and long term care hospital clinicals) FYI: I had never heard of LTACHs before clinicals and they still take LVNs if you wanted to get hospital work), resume assistance and interview prep. I had 2 offers by sites where they put me for clinicals but, ultimately chose 1 closer to home. I suggest you try the sites where you did clinical as they have seen you in action. You might also volunteer at a nearby indigent clinic to get more experience, make contacts, have more references and give back to the community. I explored other refreshers that were less expensive but, no clinicals and I had been told that was what companies wanted.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I've tried them all except the hospital. Again thank you all.

Specializes in Peds, School Nurse, clinical instructor.

What about 1/1 nursing for a school aged child.

+ Add a Comment