Hope parents don't send these to school!

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..

I can't even imagine what chaos these would cause if parents send these to school!

Amazon.com: Halls: HALLS Kids Pops

But, I do think these are a great idea for little ones (at home). I am so afraid of my little ones choking on cough drops, a mint, etc.

I have had a few bring these in for their child - I don't care for them or any cough drops for the kids at school. With these I make the kid sit in my office at eat it - I hurry them along to, no leisurely licking the thing either - haha.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

I hate cough drops. They are not very effective and make it another reason to visit the nurse.I cut that part of my protocol out of the standardized one I got from the county over. Add that to the fact that these are expensive and I doubly hate these.

As a parent, these are pretty cool. But I won't send them to school. :up: As a school nurse: no thanks. :no:

OH THEY DO. I had a teacher call me from the after school program about a month ago asking if kids can have "Halls Lollipops." At first I thought she just said lollipops, so I said oh sure if that's the snack mom & dad sent. She says no it's a cough drop on a stick. She confiscated the bag and returned it to the parent at pick up explaining that YOU DON'T SEND A SIX YEAR OLD TO SCHOOL WITH A BAG OF MEDS. Ugh.

Specializes in retired LTC.

To Bisquit - Kudos to that teacher for questioning that parental action with you. And taking action.

I think a product like this one would cause a classroom full of coughers. I see the benefit of home use, although if a child isn't old enough to not choke on a cough drop a sucker might not be safe either.

Specializes in School nursing.

These would be used like candy at my school. And I can just hear the licking and slurping sounds and that kinda grosses me out a little. And I'm not grossed out easily.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
These would be used like candy at my school. And I can just hear the licking and slurping sounds and that kinda grosses me out a little. And I'm not grossed out easily.

YEESH. You're right!!!

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I actually had a student licking one, her mom gave her some because of her throat hurting and she had a fever that day (WHY U SEND THEM TO SCHOOL THEN?!) and was barely the beginning of the day! So I called mom and she was coming to pick her up, and she was going home already, so I let her keep sucking on them (I didn't know what they were) until her mom came, which was like 5 mins later.

Usually that would be confiscated because it's considered a cough drop/medication, but since she was barely in and out and I didn't know what they were until the student was out the door, I couldn't do anything about it. :/

+ Add a Comment