If I am applying for ADN at my local community college...

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

...do I need to start volunteering at hospitals? Will that better my chances? Application won't be submitted for almost another year.

I would say that it depends on the program you want to get into and how they determine who gets in. For example, the program I am hoping to get into awards one point for volunteering with patients provided you help provide direct patient care. This is optional. Other programs may accept other types of volunteering or require volunteer hours. You may also have better chances if you were to have medical experience as a CNA, EMT, LVN, paramedic, from combat, etc. Instead of volunteering, it may be more advantageous to look into becoming a CNA, EMT, etc. You will be making money and gaining valuable experience.

Each program has their own set of requirements that they use to evaluate their applicants. I would personally recommend that you set up an appointment with a nursing advisor at the school, attend an informational workshop, talk to the person who evaluates the applications, and/or check the nursing website for that specific program. Regardless if you get points or not, volunteering is an amazing thing to do that helps to benefit others. If you have the time to do so, I would recommend looking into volunteering (or becoming licensed as a CNA, etc.) to help gain some experience between now and then ONLY if you are able to keep up your grades in your prerequisites and other require dclasses you have left. Grades tend to be weighted quite heavily. Do not chase a a couple of points and lose 10+ because you did not have the time to study. I applaud you for reaching out early and truly hopes this helps point you in more of a direction. Best wishes!

It really does depend on the school. Mine doesn't take any volunteer work into account, and just goes off of grades and TEAS scores.

+ Add a Comment