NJSNA is AGAINST safer staffing ratios!

U.S.A. New Jersey

Published

I am completely shocked after reading this articleState nurses rail against bill requiring minimum nurse-to-patient ratios | NJBIZ

Seems that the bill that would ensure MUCH safer staffing rations is being opposed by New Jersey State Nurses Association. That is definitely not my opinion or representation. I hope and pray this bill passes. Ms Judith Smith from the NJSNA must be very far removed from reality. I think the only people that would be against it are the execs and corporate. Ms. Smith says " the new bill could decrease the quality of care for patients because it could set up situations in which an inexperienced nurses would have to handle emergency situations" NEWS FLASH! those situations already exist, that's why we need this bill!

I don know about you but I already emailed the sponsor of this bill Sen. Joseph Vitale, D-19th District.

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

Rigid rations like those specified in the bill could indeed be unsafe- it fails to take into account patient acuity. Also, nurses from CA have reported that while nurse to patient ratios are lower, costs were cut by eliminating the unlicensed assistive personnel, leaving the RN to do full care on those 5 patients. She has valid points.

+ Add a Comment