Forced to do 12 hr shifts

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I've been working 35 yrs on a med- surg unit on the 3-11:30 shift in a world where 12 hr shifts are becoming the norm. I was told by my manager today that the few remaining 8 hr employees will have to change to 12 hr shifts..... I knew it was coming. A part of me is excited to work one less day a week but I have a history of anxiety related insomnia when I know I have to get up early and function. Working evenings, I can rely on going back to sleep in the morning to make up for a nite of broken sleep. I've never been a morning person and am really nervous about getting a good nights rest to function at 7am, not to mention working for 4 more hours than I'm used to. I have roughly 6 more yrs to retirement and make a good salary, enjoy my work so I hate to change jobs. I have always been very organized and get out of work on time, but I'm really apprehensive about turning my life's schedule around. Any suggestions for successfully making such a transition?

Specializes in Critical care, Trauma.

I have insomnia issues as well and I feel like doing 3 12's is actually helpful for me. It's hard for me to get up early in the morning (and, if I'm being honest, anything before 9-10am is "early" if I'm must allowing myself to wake up naturally). And I'm someone that requires a lot of sleep to function optimally. So I'm very protective of my sleep time. I don't do much after I get home from work when I know I have to be back the next morning -- just eat, shower and go to bed. I make sure I have plenty of caffeine to help me on my days I work (Clif bars with caffeine for a late morning snack, long-acting caffeine supplement in the AM plus Diet Mountain Dew since I can't really stomach coffee). I don't drink caffeine beyond 3pm-ish to avoid it affecting my sleep that night.

I don't do well with Ambien (hallucinations), Trazadone wasn't particularly effective with me and my most effective antidepressant actually negatively effects my sleep quality, so.... I can appreciate having to use medication to get rested. I find fast-acting Melatonin helps me to at least get to sleep quickly and I will use OTC diphenhydramine or doxylamine to make sure I sleep longer but I can only use them every couple of days in order for them to be effective. So, you learn what works for you. I don't take any Benzos.

For me personally, I notice less that I am staying at work longer (it's rare enough to have a shift that you really notice the difference, there's always something happening), than I notice that I am able to sleep in later 2 days per week. I've previously done the 5 8's and it's pretty hard even when I wasn't in healthcare so that work itself wasn't mentally or emotionally demanding. 4 9-ish hour shifts in Primary Care was better but I was always ready for Thursdays when I was off. lol Now with doing 3 shifts per week, I have more flexibility over my schedule (I almost never schedule myself more than 2 shifts in a row, then put in a day or two off then do my third shift). It's easier to schedule yourself long breaks every few weeks to do some travelling or just give an opportunity to really recharge. I know that eventually I will want to leave the bedside but I hate the idea of losing out on thee 12 hr shifts!

Specializes in Varied.

Creating a schedule that I follow helps me a ton. I have sleep anxiety as well and the best thing for my work-life balance was creating a strict schedule on days I work. It doesn't always work, but it helps.

I would try and give it a chance. You may love it! However I am no stranger to sleep troubles. I feel your pain. If it absolutely does not work out try nights or going prn. 2nd shift was always my favorite before having children. I think you're going to do great

I am not a nurse yet, but have had issues with anxiety insomnia, too. The best thing I have done for myself is remove readable clocks from my room. When you can see the time, it makes the anxiety worse, especially as time ticks away through the night. Also, get a reliable alarm that there would be no way in hell you could sleep through. I use a loud alarm on my phone that sounds like an air horn (an app called Alarmy). It accidentally went off in lecture hall once, and before I was able to shut it off people had already started evacuating. Oops! If you use an app, be sure to keep your phone away from reach on your bed. You don't want to be tempted to look at the time!

I've tried trazadone and otc sleep aids, and I've watched as my mother, who is also a nurse, sleep walked on Ambien and Lunesta (cleaning up her Ambien kitchen messes...so much fun, lol). I honestly think, for myself, finding a holistic alternative is be better in the long run. Medicated sleep never seems to feel like good sleep.

I will be 62 this summer. I have worked days for the last 25 years. I just went to 7p-7a (6in a row with 8 off). I love it and wouldnt want to go back to days. It's like being on vacation 2 weeks a month. Just took a little getting use to.

I'll soon be 58 and I love my 12hr night shift!! I work 3 shifts/week to be full time. Our night team tends to do swaps with each other if time off is needed (after the schedule is posted). As a result, my ETO Time rarely gets touched, unless I take a real vacation. I have more than 220 hours built up in my ETO bank!! Another advantage is you save $$ on gas for work, and less wear & tear on your vehicle. Truly a win-win!!

Specializes in NICU.

This is one nurse that never wanted 12, I did 10 s once and it was great,you still have a lot of time off and do not feel so beaten up as after three 12s in a row.The way the scheduling worked out some weeks I worked 5 shifts in a 7 day period,not easily endured at my older age, especially in a busy ICU.

But you have part time ,so two 12s sounds doable,hard at first but you will learn to work around it by good focus on your own care and putting yourself first.Good luck to you.

I have been a nurse for only 2 years after working in the corporate world for 20+ years. I adjusted quickly to the 12 hour shifts and don't even think twice about it anymore. I get that extra day off a week but I use it to pick up shifts for OT.

I feel the 12 hour shifts do not allow for nurses with families. I worked my first nursing job doing rotating 12 hour shifts. I rarely saw my children which is why I left. The hospitals are not considering this when changing to all 12 hour shifts. Even on my days off, I was too tired to enjoy anytime with my kids unless I was lucky enough to have 3 days off in a row. Yes it is convenient for scheduling and staffing, but families suffer. Very sad.

+ Add a Comment