Nurse Beth & Keith Facebook Live Event - #NursesTakeDC

We all know that unsafe staffing and nurse-patient ratios have been topics for discussion in the news for a few years now. Many of you are experiencing the effects of unsafe nurse-patient ratios. Nurses are becoming overwhelmed and burned out with many leaving the bedside. Something has to be done. The time for change is now. Nurses Announcements Archive

Published

Specializes in Peds, Med-Surg, Disaster Nsg, Parish Nsg.

On April 25th and 26th, 2018, nurses from all over the country will gather in Washington, D.C. for the 3rd annual rally to urge lawmakers to enact safe staffing ratios. Nurse Beth has been asked to speak on the White House lawn as a Rally Speaker on Thursday, April 26, 2018. There will be a Legislative Session on Wednesday, April 25 to discuss proposed bills HR 2392 / S 1063 entitled "Nurse Staffing Standards for Hospital Patient Safety and Quality Care Act of 2017." These 2 bills will not only include ratios but also allow for acuity-based staffing as well.

At the legislative session, nurses will be taught the nuts and bolts of grassroots organizing, learn in detail the legislation they are fighting for, and hone their political prowess when discussing safe staffing and the research that supports it, with their legislators after the Rally or the following day.

The allnurses team will be in DC along with Nurse Beth (Beth Hawkes) and others to show our support and cover the event. We plan on being your voice as we talk to legislators about the issues. We will be providing live video coverage as well as videos and articles after we return.

Leading up to the event, we will be hosting several live Facebook Question & Answer sessions with Nurse Beth and Keith Carlson, another nurse who will be speaking at the rally. These sessions will serve to inform you about the issues and to encourage and empower you to take action.

The first Facebook Live event will be Thursday, March 1st at 8:30 PM EST. You can access the event on the Nurses Rock Facebook page. If you can't attend the sessions, we will be posting the videos here. You will also be able to view them on Nurses Rock Facebook and on the allnurses YouTube channel.

Topics covered in session 1:

• #NurseTakeDC in general
  • Issues behind the movement
  • Legislative agenda
  • Why it's important
  • What does it mean?
  • What ratios mean to patient care

Come with your questions. Beth and Keith will try to address as many questions as time allows. You can also post questions here. Let us know what you would like Beth and Keith to address in upcoming sessions.

1 Votes

Ugh, a weekday.

Ugh, a weekday.

It's a week-night. We have to do it when the hosts are available. You will be able to view it on facebook, YouTube, and allnurses.

It's a week-night. We have to do it when the hosts are available. You will be able to view it on facebook, YouTube, and allnurses.

Thank you, I shared it on my FB page, but cannot attend.

Thank you, I shared it on my FB page, but cannot attend.

Thanks for sharing. We will be having several of these events. Hopefully, you will be able to attend. If there are questions you would like addressed, post them here and I will pass them on to Beth and Keith.

I WANT TO GO!!!!!! On a serious side note..is this something I could attend in person and help support? I am not sure of my work schedule yet but this is something I strongly agree with would love to rally with the troops in DC!

I WANT TO GO!!!!!! On a serious side note..is this something I could attend in person and help support? I am not sure of my work schedule yet but this is something I strongly agree with would love to rally with the troops in DC!

Yes you can go and help support this effort. You can make an appointment with your legislators and let them know you support this bill. First of all, familiarize yourself with the bill. We are having a series of Facebook live events that will discuss the issues behind the bill, the effect the bill could have on staffing ratios, what you can do to advocate for this bill, etc. Nurse Beth (Beth Hawkes) and Nurse Keith (Keith Carlson) are leading these discussions. They will be speaking at the rally. We've already had 2 live events. You can view videos of these events on the allnurses Nurses Rock Facebook page.

You can also view the second event in a discussion thread here on allnurses.

Nurse Beth and Keith Carlson Talk About Staffing Ratios & NursesTakeDC

Post any questions you have in this discussion thread and we will try to address them.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Yes you can go and help support this effort. You can make an appointment with your legislators and let them know you support this bill. First of all, familiarize yourself with the bill. We are having a series of Facebook live events that will discuss the issues behind the bill, the effect the bill could have on staffing ratios, what you can do to advocate for this bill, etc. Nurse Beth (Beth Hawkes) and Nurse Keith (Keith Carlson) are leading these discussions. They will be speaking at the rally. We've already had 2 live events. You can view videos of these events on the allnurses Nurses Rock Facebook page.

You can also view the second event in a discussion thread here on allnurses.

Nurse Beth and Keith Carlson Talk About Staffing Ratios & NursesTakeDC

Post any questions you have in this discussion thread and we will try to address them.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Thank you for all the information! I will share this as well with the other nurses I know. Even as a new nurse, I am a strong advocate for this.

Last question, are you referring to our state legislature or national? I want to make sure I reach out to the right law makers.

Thank you for all the information! I will share this as well with the other nurses I know. Even as a new nurse, I am a strong advocate for this.

Last question, are you referring to our state legislature or national? I want to make sure I reach out to the right law makers.

I'm sorry for the delay in answering your question. I am just now seeing it.

You need to contact your National legislators.

Here's what you can do. First, find out who your representatives are by your zip code. You have one

representative and two Senators. You should contact all three.

For more information about what to say when you contact your legisators, read this article and watch the video.

Safe Nurse Staffing FB Live Video #2 - How to Influence Your Legislators

+ Add a Comment