Did CPR for the first time today.

Specialties School

Published

Student passed out on PE doing fitness gram, was having abnormal breathing and not responding. Called 911, operator gave instructions to do CPR and just did it, 3 mins, not stopping. Other people around me were freaking out, no one wanted to take over, so I kept going. EMTs came, took it over, student was fine after a while. She has done this before, basically anxiety/panic attacks, and parents are trying to find the cause of it. She went home, and was fine after all issue, talking and smiling. People were telling me good job, and was said I was very calm doing the issue, but in all honestly, I was trying to keep it together while everyone is panicking and I know I'll freak out later at home.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Please don't make those of us who are new to the site feel bad about contributing. What I hate about School Nursing is the isolation. This site was really making me feel that I am not out there alone and that you all understand what I am experiencing.

We do, you are not alone, and that was not directed at you. Welcome, and check out the totally fetch Pink Wednesday thread. Unless you want to sit at the table with Old Dude, and hey- we don't judge.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.
Please don't make those of us who are new to the site feel bad about contributing. What I hate about School Nursing is the isolation. This site was really making me feel that I am not out there alone and that you all understand what I am experiencing.

We were directing it to the non school nurses. What eventually happens is nurses read topics that they think they know everything about, like this, and come on here. They respond by the title without reading the thread, and it becomes nasty, because general AN is nasty.

Specializes in OMFS, Dentistry.

WOW......

Specializes in NCSN.

I apologize if we have come off as clickish. I know that wasn't anyone's intention. We just are protective of our own members.

As a new school nurse, so much of the job is a steep lonely learning curve so PLEASE post on here often. We are all here to help each other. I'm still pretty fresh to this role myself and I use this board nearly daily to learn, laugh and feel a little less alone.

Specializes in School Nursing.

That wasn't my intention!! I meant it as a "I love how the school nursing thread members support Amethya because despite never having met her, we know her story and situation." A handful of her posts have gotten harsh (Very harsh) comments from non-school nurses when posts end up on the side-bar suggestions or main page. I really think it's nice that we can virtually support each other, and meant it as a positive commentary on friendship. I apologize that it wasn't clear!!

Please join our conversations (and start your own!). This thread is our "lunch table", as Ruby_Jane said.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.
That wasn't my intention!! I meant it as a "I love how the school nursing thread members support Amethya because despite never having met her, we know her story and situation." A handful of her posts have gotten harsh (Very harsh) comments from non-school nurses when posts end up on the side-bar suggestions or main page. I really think it's nice that we can virtually support each other, and meant it as a positive commentary on friendship. I apologize that it wasn't clear!!

Please join our conversations (and start your own!). This thread is our "lunch table", as Ruby_Jane said.

And this is why I love you guys. Even if you don't know me, you understand my struggle and I love that about you. Thank you for helping me for the past two years and helping me as much as you can. That's why I kind of only read your comments more when I read these comments, than the ones who are just not SN. Sure They are knowledgeable and I thank their knowledge but it's like behind a computer, they feel they have right to be nasty, and that's not why I'm here. I'm here for support and encouragement to keep going in this job, which I will. We need to help each other, not be mean to each other.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Now getting back into topic, is it normal for my wrist to be hurting after doing CPR? It's only hurts when I twist my hand like trying to open a door.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

As the OP is a CNA in a school situation, lets chill a little. She is not to be held to the standard of a nurse.

+ Add a Comment