Irrigating Bladder in HH?

Specialties Home Health

Published

Specializes in School Nursing, Home Health.

Hey there,

So I have a patient where I am irrigating his foley/bladder ever week and the nurse in charge told me to switch out an irrigation kit every month. But I am a bit confused since this means it will not be sterile. Won't this cause an infection? What do you guys do?

Specializes in ambulant care.

I don´t know "sterile" bladders. Even new ones are not.

I try to get an "own" one for every pt who needs it.

The "normal" desinfektion will do.

I switch it out, if I see encrustations or disclourations I can´t remove ...

and - of course - if it`s damaged.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

Are you sure you understood her right? Irrigations of the bladder are ALWAYS sterile, as it is a closed system. Usually a foley is changed every thirty days or so, unless it's a mess. Check your company's Nursing Policies and Procedures.

Specializes in ambulant care.

Too sorry !

Your`re right.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

I choose my words carefully. I did not say that the bladder was "sterile." The irrigations are. If they were not there would be a great danger of introducing new bacteria. Why do you think insertion of a foley is sterile and also the lubricant and saline syringe are sterile? (This reply is to Elfredi.)

Specializes in School Nursing, Home Health.

Hi @Have Nurse, I checked with her and she said to just wash it really good with some chlorine and warm soapy water. Change irrigation kit every month like she said before. He does have Foley change every month.

+ Add a Comment