What are some creative nursing careers?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi all, I've recently realized how much of a creative person I am and am trying to incorporate that into my nursing career. I've seen a couple of threads on this but they're over a few years old and thought I might get some updated ideas.

As for my interest in the topic: I got into nursing very young. I became an LPN by age 19. Now 6 years later with a BSN and with 5 years of experience, I think maybe I went into nursing more because my family wanted me to than I did. Now that I've grown up, I've learned that I'm a really creative person and feel so smothered in nursing without expressing my creativity. I've really hated most of my jobs although I do enjoy the art of wound care and IVs lol. I still enjoy my patients but really want something different, maybe out of the box (I've worked med-surg, PDN, and HH case management). Open to any suggestions!

Elfriede

258 Posts

Specializes in ambulant care.

What´s your creativity looks like ?

- Artist, -Army, -foreign languages/international nursing, -husband (sorry, but too tempting)

Buckeye.nurse

295 Posts

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

Nursing jobs related to children (pediatric floors or school nursing) generally allow for more creativity. You get down on the level of your patient, whether they be 12 months or 12 years, and help them understand. I no longer work in pediatrics, but I have many a fond memory of spending some down time coloring or building legoes with one of my patients.

NightNerd, MSN, RN

1,130 Posts

Specializes in CMSRN, hospice.

If you enjoy wound care and IVs, maybe get your certification in one of those areas and get a job doing just those things. Most hospitals have a wound/ostomy nurse who consults on cases throughout the hospital, and also a vascular access team.

I know a couple of nurses who have become licensed massage therapists and have incorporated massage into their practice. Same concept with nurses who are passionate about, say, nutrition, fitness, mindfulness, etc. If you're business-minded you could start your own business teaching classes about these topics to the public.

Or, do what I do and have your job, avoid overtime like the plague, and use your off-time to dive into your creative interests full-force. I personally enjoy exploring both my concrete, scientific side and my playful, creative side, and keeping the one from getting wrapped up my job. I'm more inclined to keep it as a hobby. Your mileage may vary.

RNperdiem, RN

4,592 Posts

I find my nursing job pays me enough to buy lots of fabric, patterns and notions so I can design and sew most of my clothes.

Creativity does not always pay the bills. People can people satisfy their creative side outside of work.

The closest nursing job I can think of is wound care. No two wounds are the same and over the years I have seen some creative wound management strategies.

cleback

1,381 Posts

I second (or third) becoming a WOCN. So many different products and ways you can approach wound care, I bet sone of your need for creativity would be satisfied.

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

Nursing is a great balance for creativity.

On one side of the scale, you have the factual linear left brain approach of nursing, and on the other side of the scale, you have the expressively organic right brained approach.

I wouldn't be so into my art if I didn't have nursing and I wouldn't be so into nursing if I didn't have art. One of the great things about being involved in AN.com is that I get a chance to have my cake and eat it too!

You've got some great suggestions from the other posters, MJPN.

Good luck to you!

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I find my nursing job pays me enough to buy lots of fabric, patterns and notions so I can design and sew most of my clothes.

Creativity does not always pay the bills. People can people satisfy their creative side outside of work.

I am sitting here virtually admiring the heck out of you, RNperdiem!

Who, today, sews their own clothes?!

Your post also reminded me of the old blind date set up situation:

Blind date dude to friend, "Okay, so what's she like?"

"Oh, GREAT personality. Sews her own clothes!"

Elfriede

258 Posts

Specializes in ambulant care.
One of the great things about being involved in AN.com is that I get a chance to have my cake and eat it too!

;) ... and crumbeling around.

MJPN2012

33 Posts

Thank you guys!

Buckeye.nurse: I do private duty with children and love it! They just tend to pay low. Living rural tends to limit my opportunities with kids. Those units are all in the big cities just a bit too far away.

And wound care nurse sounds like something I would really like! It's always been in the back of my mind. I might be able to find one of those jobs. Maybe I'm missing my creative outlets because I haven't had the funds to enjoy them, since I've been spending so much time trying to figure out what I want to do. *Cue light bulb*

+ Add a Comment