Looking to start in sub-specialty

Specialties NP

Published

Since I have a decent amount of emergency experience as an RN (and actually started out in ED - I've never worked a day in Med-Surg in my life), I want to start out working an NP in the Emergency Dept. However, everyone seems to want NPs but not to train us - they all insist on a year of experience. How can I best find an "in" where someone is actually willing to train?

rnBSN223

58 Posts

Maybe try an Urgent Care first? Im not sure where you are located but I know many urgent cares in Michigan hire new NPs? That gets your foot into the door with experience

Specializes in Urgent Care NP, Emergency Nursing, Camp Nursing.
Maybe try an Urgent Care first? Im not sure where you are located but I know many urgent cares in Michigan hire new NPs? That gets your foot into the door with experience

I'm trying them too. They're even worse about wanting the golden year of experience.

guest769224

1,698 Posts

Try the ER you worked in as an RN. You'll have those existing connections.

Try the ER you worked in as an RN. You'll have those existing connections.

Oh, I have. The regional manager (who was on my DNP committee) is trying to override the recruiter

What kind of np are you?

What kind of np are you?

FNP, so one I get a few years experience I can sit for the ENP exam

FNP, so one I get a few years experience I can sit for the ENP exam

You probably want your ENP or ACNP to go along with your fnp. Past that, get experience in primary care, use that to get into urgent care, and on to emergency. Unless you find an urgent care willing to consider your ed RN experience. If you get an interview, you could probably sell it.

You probably want your ENP or ACNP to go along with your fnp.

ENP fellowships are few and far between; otherwise you have to have time-in-place to sit for the exam...which means someone needs to hire me first.

And how would an adult/gero ACNP help when I need to deal with kids?

ENP fellowships are few and far between; otherwise you have to have time-in-place to sit for the exam...which means someone needs to hire me first.

And how would an adult/gero ACNP help when I need to deal with kids?

ACNP combined with FNP. While you need fnp for peds, working in a hospital you should hand an acute care cert as well.

As for ENP, I didn't know it was fellowship based. I presumed there was a school who taught it as a rider.

Specializes in Hospitalist Medicine.

There are many ERs requiring dual FNP/ACNP certification. Depending on your state, some will take you on if you have extensive experience in ER or critical care before obtaining the FNP. However, more are moving towards wanting the ACNP certification because you learn to put in art lines, central lines, intubate, etc., which you aren't exposed to in FNP training.

Have you considered a post-master's certificate in acute care? You might be able to work on it while gaining experience as an FNP so you can get your foot in the door. As previous posters stated above, use your network to see if you can score an interview at the ED where you work. If you're a good nurse, the docs should put in a good word for you.

Good luck :)

There are many ERs requiring dual FNP/ACNP certification. Depending on your state, some will take you on if you have extensive experience in ER or critical care before obtaining the FNP. However, more are moving towards wanting the ACNP certification because you learn to put in art lines, central lines, intubate, etc., which you aren't exposed to in FNP training.

I'm quite done with school at this point - besides, most of those things I'd learn once someone sends me to ATLS as part of onboarding. Also, AAENP's position is that FNP is necessary and sufficient for the ENP role. I, thankfully, live in a state where the ACNP isn't required for the ED.

+ Add a Comment