Best Children's Hospital in Ohio

U.S.A. Ohio

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi all,

I am contemplating a move to Ohio from the northeast, mainly for the cheaper cost of living!

I am interested in working as a pediatric nurse and am looking for options in the Cleveland and Akron area. I would be living around the streetsborough to be close to family while I get to know the area.

Any recommendations would be great! Also what is the pay rate for an RN with 10 years of experience? I know it may vary a bit, but I just want a rough idea. Also is the cost of living compatible with the pay? Here where I am the cost of living is almost impossible on a single income, even as a nurse!

Annie

From what I have heard, UH (University Hospitals) Rainbow Babies is the top children's hospital in the area. Their pay is higher than most hospitals around. I would guess over $40 an hour for someone with your experience. The only downfall is that their health benefits are terrible and that's the main reason that people either quit or decide not to work there.

I have also heard that Akron Children's is very good as well but I don't know anything about their pay or benefits.

The Cleveland Clinic also has a children's hospital of course. The Clinic is amazing to work for. The best benefits by far anywhere around. But pay is on the lower side. You would get maybe $35. But the Clinic is also the number 2 hospital in the country. It is HUGE and the diagnoses you see are rare. But the Clinic doesn't have a good rep when it comes to how they treat their nurses. A dime a dozen is the general attitude. The way they feel is that you should be honored to work for them. It is amazing to work there though.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your informative reply Neurogirl!

I appreciate it! I am really wanting to get a job with Akron Children's Hospital, but their have slim pickings for jobs right now so I may have to wait.

Annie

Specializes in School health, pediatrics.

Akron Children's has slim pickings because they are a dedicated peds hospital. The benefits are pretty good, but a bit more expensive than UH. Where are UH you can get in another department and tranfer to peds after a year, Akron you'll have to wait until something is available. I have worked for both, as a Medical Assistant, not RN and I have to say I love ACH. I'm hoping to stay here for the duration of my career, but UH was also a good employer.

Cleveland Clinic has a dedicated children's department and floor and peds departments for specialties, but they do not (as far as I know) have a whole hospital for peds. My friend prefers CCF over UH as a floor nurse, but she does not work peds.

Hi,

Thank you for the information! I am also wondering is the income tax really high in Ohio? The house prices are A LOT lower there then they are here, so I am just wondering what the catch is! :D

Specializes in NICU.
The house prices are A LOT lower there then they are here, so I am just wondering what the catch is! :D
It is the midwest, land is not a premium so houses are cheaper.

I have worked at both UH and Cleveland clinic but not as an RN. The Pros of the Clinic is that they have their charting system EPIC which is practically fool proof when it comes to charting and doesn't allow for any mistakes. The Pro of UH is that they pay you more hourly (it was a $3 for me versus the Clinic) and they seem to have a more laid back mentality when it comes to the environment of the hospital. The Cons of the Clinic would be how they treat their nurses and the Con of UH would be that they don't seem to get as much headway when it comes to research and new discoveries. That being said, I'll never work for the Clinic as an RN. I've seen way too many good nurses thrown out of the door for things that everyone else does.

+ Add a Comment