New Grad- when to apply for a job?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

I will be graduating as an RN in May 2018. When should I begin applying to RN jobs?

PaSSiNGaS, MSN

261 Posts

Specializes in Nurse Anesthesiology.

Start applying now and get your foot in the door. All your classmates will probably be applying for the same jobs and it would be a lot easier to land one if you are first in line. Just be up front with them about your graduation date and when you plan on taking the NCLEX

Specializes in Ambulatory Care-Family Medicine.

No later than end of March. Put your anticipated graduation date on your resume and application so the hospital knows you are applying for the new grad programs. Most new grad residencies make offers 8+ weeks before the program actually starts. Assuming they'll probably start mid-June they will be making offers in April.

knight-

21 Posts

Ditto, start applying now. Get your BLS and ACLS certifications as well, and some online courses (and there are lots of free courses out there), just to put some meat in your resume.

hi i have a question. Even with ADN degrees, can you still get hired at hospital.

knight-

21 Posts

Of course. Not all hospitals require a BSN. But some would really like it if you are currently studying to get your BSN.

nursechini

23 Posts

I agree that if you want to do a residency program applications will open months before graduation. However, I wasn't called back for staff positions until I had a license number on my resume. But of course it doesn't hurt to apply early.

decotes

26 Posts

If you're in Massachusetts (or some similar states) I would say don't bother. Most applications will kick you out as soon as you cannot put in a license number! :(

nhkimnurse

7 Posts

What are some of the online courses you suggest that the new grads can put in their resume as a juicy meat?

nhkimnurse

7 Posts

If you're in Massachusetts (or some similar states) I would say don't bother. Most applications will kick you out as soon as you cannot put in a license number! :(

Yeah I feel like that's what's happening in big cities like NYC where I am at now.. I don't know what to do and would hate to start so late after I get my license number which will be after July/Aug

decotes

26 Posts

I feel like that wouldn't be so bad because most places do a lot of hiring in October!! I would say just start networking asap instead :)

+ Add a Comment