High School Shooter Copy Cats?

Specialties School

Published

What is going on? The students here at the HS are always letting me in on the scoop. A girl said on Social Media 3 students threaten to shoot up the school yesterday and were arrested. Now today a different girl says tomorrow...a boy or boys are going to blow up or shoot up the school. I asked why and she said one boy is failing with a 14 in one class and he told the teacher change it or I will shoot you. OMg. She said most of the students are NOT coming tomorrow. What? Social Media is feeding these kids into venting, threatening and copying the evil of this world. Your thoughts. Is it just my area?

momrn94

31 Posts

Oh my goodness. Your school?!?

OldDude

1 Article; 4,787 Posts

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

A student from the HS and a student from the JH was removed last Friday for similar circumstances. Here is part of a district wide announcement that went out today...

"We would also ask that you remind your student(s) to "see something, say something." Please encourage students to report anything that may concern them to campus administration. Additionally, it is important to remember that Blank ISD does not tolerate jokes or pranks related to safety and security on our campuses. Any student who makes this kind of poor decision will find that strong disciplinary action is taken in such matters, and even a 'joke' can result in criminal charges in certain circumstances."

Sickening...

allnurses Guide

NurseCard, ADN

2,847 Posts

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

On February 20th, I kid you not, EVERY school district around me had

at least one school go into "soft lockdown" due mostly to things being

written on bathroom walls. The high school that my DD attends had

some kid write "Ima shoot up this b**tch" on the bathroom wall. The

very same day, some 13 year old girl wrote "I'm going to shoot up

this school on 2-21-18" on the bathroom wall of the middle school.

That girl was found out and arrested, charged with terroristic

threatening, and taken to Juvy.

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..
On February 20th, I kid you not, EVERY school district around me had

at least one school go into "soft lockdown" due mostly to things being

written on bathroom walls. The high school that my DD attends had

some kid write "Ima shoot up this b**tch" on the bathroom wall. The

very same day, some 13 year old girl wrote "I'm going to shoot up

this school on 2-21-18" on the bathroom wall of the middle school.

That girl was found out and arrested, charged with terroristic

threatening, and taken to Juvy.

Yup. You're in my state. EVERY school around us. We had threats in my district but none of our schools were on lockdown, just investigated. It's ridiculous.

Csn2016, BSN

90 Posts

Specializes in Emergency Medicine, Women's Health,School Nursing.

I dont know what goes through these kids brains (or lack there of if they are doing this) but 4 of the surrounding schools received possible threats through social media (kids were all caught and are being charged!) Last night I get an email from my kids school that they were made aware of a social media post shared throughout the community but the threat was not directed at their school but police presence will be increased today.

ruby_jane, BSN, RN

3,142 Posts

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

My limited time in psych nursing reminds me that the kids get something from these interactions. I don't know what they're getting...except arrested and a permanent record.

Specializes in School.

We had one threaten a teacher the day after the FL. shooting and today we have increased police presence due a "threat" on social media. The threat on social media was traced back to Ohio, but since we have a program today they have increased security.

The student who threatened the teacher was put into the alternative campus.

Kittery

1 Article; 172 Posts

A HS student in my district was arrested the day after the Parkland shooting for bringing a gun to school, same thing happened in 2 other districts in the area. Ridiculous.

OldDude

1 Article; 4,787 Posts

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
The student who threatened the teacher was put into the alternative campus.

We have such a campus here...I know its purpose but it ends up being a "vacation" from regular ed and the kids end up getting so much attention its almost a reward in some cases. It's like our in school suspension...there is no actual "punishment" other than on paper.

flowerpowerntx

76 Posts

Around me the same thing is happening. It's so scary. I'm in Texas where guns are very prevalent.

NutmeggeRN, BSN

2 Articles; 4,621 Posts

Specializes in kids.
A HS student in my district was arrested the day after the Parkland shooting for bringing a gun to school, same thing happened in 2 other districts in the area. Ridiculous.

What. The. Focalin?

+ Add a Comment