Fired for Falsifying Documents. What to expect

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in LTC.

Today is extremely difficulty for me. I just started this new job that I absolutely love. I work in a very busy hallway and popped a noon med for one of my residents. I placed it in the med cart and was pulled away. I always initial as I pop and signed. However at the end of my shift, I did not give it. I now understand how early documentation isn't good at all, but I had no intentions to do what I did. I deeply apologized to my supervisor and was thankful for the opportunity but now I'm afraid of what will happen to my license.

Again, I am not making excuses. I made a major mistake but I would never ever intend to not give someone their medication on purpose or for convenience. I would like to know what I can expect or how soon I will hear something. I am so afraid.

Specializes in kids.

What did you do with the med after you "popped it out", leave it in the cart? Did it get misplaced?

Specializes in LTC.

I left it in the cart...

Specializes in Geriatrics.

I doubt anything major will happen unless you have made multiple mistakes in the past. Were you the one to remember the missed medication or was it found by another nurse?

Specializes in LTC.

Another nurse found my error. In the past I've made a med error but I haven't heard from the BON. I had zero intention to hurt anyone nor gain from this event.

I suspect they will just write up a medication error. Was any harm brought to the patient from not getting this med?

Just learn from your mistakes and remember not to sign off on something before it's given :)

Edit: I just realized the title reads "fired", were you actually fired or are you afraid you will be?

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Was the medication recovered?

You made a medication error. Depending on the kind of medication, you may be asked to prove you did not divert the medication. Board of Nursing doesn't usually get involved unless there's a pattern or suspicion of theft. Hang in there.

At this stage, I'd be more concerned about explaining to the next job about why you got fired and what you intend to do to remedy it in the future.

Specializes in LTC.

Yes, ma'am, I was fired. They pulled me into the office. I've never had an discipline against me on my license before so I was afraid. I promise I will never EVER in my life sign off a med before it's given. The HWD said "that's false documentation" to me. I'm not sure if thats what she's going to report to the BON.

Specializes in LTC.

The medication was in the med cart. Thank you for your kind words. I have been crying all morning and afraid because I love nursing and don't want to lose it.

Specializes in LTC.

If this is my concern, I'd gladly take it over losing my license. I feel like I'm too stupid to be a nurse sometimes. I was very proud of my work.

Wow! That seems a little harsh to me over a medication error. You said you've only made one error besides this one. What medication was it? Usually things like this aren't reported to the BON unless like a previous poster said if there is a pattern of mistakes or narcotics were involved and unable to prove that they weren't being diverted. Have you had any other issues with this job?

I've had two medication errors myself, one for not transcribing an order correctly and another signing off that a medication (a cream) wasn't available when it was actually hiding in the med room. Both times my employer just wrote up a medication error and provided me with nursing education.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I would just take it as a learning experience for now.

+ Add a Comment