K-6 School Programs Available

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

I have been tasked with writing a mid-term paper for my psychology class. My problem is that I homeschooled my daughter for most of her life (she's in college now) and I am not familiar with programs available in school systems. The scenario is in short that as the school nurse, I must develop 3 health programs for K-6 children and their parents. I have to fully develop these programs in the paper from concept to roll-out (10+ pages) that includes at least 1 handout per program. I was hoping that some of you with kiddos could bullet point some things available in your schools for me. I'm not looking for ideas for my paper, but rather what already exists.

The point of the paper is to develop new hypothetical programs, but its hard to determine what a hypothetical program is when I don't know what a real program is. The only "real" programs I am aware of is when I was in school and that was scoliosis, eyes and hearing checks. We also had regular lice checks. Oh - and I just remembered that we had the girls/boys puberty type classes also!! So if you wouldn't mind listing real health programs that exist in schools today I would be grateful.

Thank you so much!!

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.

Did you try looking up your state or the national school nurses association online? You may find direction there.

Screenings, individual health plans, immunizations emergency protocols

No - but I will now. I know so little about public education, I didnt know there was a school nurse association. I also feel like you were saying that school programs arent necessarily done on a school by school basis and I can look for programs on a district / county / state / federal basis.

Thank you!!

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.

Nope. They are done at the school district level. The state sets minimum requirements per law

Thanks!! It wasn't easy but I managed to figure it out. Hopefully it turns out well for me. I appreciate your help.

+ Add a Comment