Did I make the right decision not to aggressively resuscitate this baby?

Specialties NICU

Published

Hi all,

I had a terrible call the other night and it has been on my mind since then, I keep second guessing myself and getting upset about it, and wondering what if I had...

Anyway we were dispatched for a woman in labor, updated enroute to the baby has been delivered, updated enroute to shallow respirations, updated to CPR in progress. It was in the middle of a bad snow storm so it took us about 20 minutes or so to get there. Fast forward to arrival there is a 26 year old woman sitting on a toilet at home holding a very small baby while a police officer gives blow by oxygen (They do not have the appropriate BVM so that is the best they could do) and doing compressions. The baby had no muscle tone, no pulses, and a very occasional gasping breathe. The eyes were still fused and his mouth was so small I honestly don't know that I could have even intubated him if I wanted to because the smallest we carry is a 0 blade and I don't think it would have fit. I had my people start ventilations with our neonatal BVM, the baby's face was so small the mask covered most of it. We continued CPR and I called my medical control doctor because I felt the baby was to early to be viable given his size and skin etc. Speaking with her I advised her that the mother reports some movement in the baby on initial delivery and she advised me to work him for a while and gave me the OK to stop efforts if there was no response. The mother had no idea she was pregnant and when asked she reported her last period was about 2 months ago (clearly that wasn't her period of course because this baby was a lot further along than 8 weeks). I asked when her last period was before that and she said she didn't know, so figuring out gestational age was even more difficult.

Per the mother, she felt cramping discomfort like she had to go to the bathroom for a couple hours starting around 2330 and when she got into the bathroom she felt a gush of water, pushed once and out came the baby. The baby was born around 0300 hours and we didn't get there until around 0340 ( for some reason there seemed to be a lapse in time from birth to the 911 call, but her times may have been off). The baby was probably about 6-7 inches long from head to toe ( I am totally estimating could have been more or less), as I said his eyes were fused, and his mouth was about 1 inch long maybe even more like a half inch. We did CPR with ventilations for at least 10 minutes and had no response other than a very occasional gasp, but no brachial pulse or heart sounds so I made the difficult decision to stop efforts and not go to Epi or IV fluid. I am now totally second guessing myself.

The weight at the hospital was 526 grams which I have read is a baby that some hospitals would do a full resuscitation on. Was I wrong to call it and stop efforts and not try and intubate or try epi? The labor and delivery nurse called me later to ask some more questions for the records and she said that they more than likely would not have tried to resuscitate that baby. She also said they were unsure of the gestational age and were still trying to figure it out (this was two hours later). It is a community hospital with no NICU or SCN.

Any advise or comments would be helpful, even if you disagree with stopping efforts, I need to learn in case this happens again. This is the first time I have ever had a field deliver of a preterm neonate so I had nothing to compare the baby too as far as using that to figure out an actually gestational age and viability.

A Heart Broken Annie

Specializes in Community, OB, Nursery.

I'll throw my $.02 in with everyone else and say you did the best you could with the situation and resources in front of you, and I don't want you to spend one more second beating yourself up about it.

Microchips weighing 500gm need a 00 blade, and we don't even stock those on the L&D warmers in our unit. (We have a separate neonatal resus room where the teeny tinies go at delivery, and that's where we keep the 00s.) There is so much unknown from this delivery. How long the baby was down, exactly how many weeks s/he was, and at that stage of the game, a week in either direction can make a HUGE difference.

Please please please know that you did what you could and gave this baby your best.

(For what it's worth, I made up my mind years ago after seeing a ~23 weeker being resuscitated that I would opt out of that if ever in that situation with a baby of my own. To be resus-ed and later poked, prodded, intubated, jerked around by an oscillator, overstimulated all the time, and still iffy chances on a good outcome, no thank you. Every situation is unique but it's ok to let these teeny tinies go gracefully back to where they came from, too. It sounds like that's what you and your colleagues did.)

Specializes in NICU.

Eyes fused ,no resp effort after 10 min ?The nuero sequelae would have been devastating.It is so hard to determine age cause it could be 24 weeks iugr or 23 weeks lga or sga, you did fine ,stop beating yourself over it .Good work.

Specializes in DNP, NNP-BC, RNC-NIC, C-ELBW, DCSD.

Heartbreaking. I agree with everyone else, you did the best you could. As you stated the baby was already down, there was no heart rate (auscultated/ palpated) upon arrival. It seems like everyone did their best with what they had, especially you. You're the expert in this situation, so your intuition was spot on.

I agree with what another poster stated, even if that kiddo got a heart rate back post intervention/ resuscitation, think about the infant's quality of life. Theres a reason some institutions don't resuscitate micro-premies. It hurts to say, because my son was an extreme micro-premie and his outcome has been amazing!

Bottom line. Don't beat yourself up, you did everything you could and thought to do. You did the right thing.

+ Add a Comment