How do I get out of the home?

Specialties Home Health

Published

Hello.

I started my new job as a home health nurse 2 weeks ago. I am totally loving it. I feel like this is what I was born to do and am so grateful to be allowed to do it.

When I was working on med/surg as a new grad, my preceptor said "you have to learn to get out of that room". What she meant was that I spent a lot of time just talking to my patient. I only worked med/surg for a very short time, but I did learn to get out of the room. I hated not having the time with patients because I don't think many things are more important than listening to the patient. I have made many "saves" just by being alert to what I am being told and following through when something plucks that "oh oh - this is important" string that I believe all good nurses have or develop.

Notwithstanding, there is a point, especially with the lonely and the housebound, where I really must go.

How do you experienced home care nurses, or anyone else for that matter, with finite time and energy, move that meeting to a close while at the same time, expressing to the patient that you are interested, they matter, and in a perfect world, you would have that cup of tea?

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

When I was working HH and it was getting time to leave, I'd say something like "Well, Mrs. Jones, your meds are all set up for this week, I have the refills you need written down so I can bring them next time, your blood sugars are looking good today and your dr. appt is set up for thursday. Is there anything else I can do for you before I leave?" Amazingly, after listing what we did like that, they normally replied, No, there wasn't anything else they needed and that was my cue to leave and move on.

Specializes in Hospice.

Love this one. That will do the trick I'm sure.

Specializes in Hospice.

Thank you everyone, that took the time to respond and help me. Tons of good suggestions here.

If you aren't already, and granted there are visits that are difficult to keep on track, try setting up front what the patient can expect from the visit. AIDET is a tool but this is the general information you can give to patient at start of visit, even in part with the phone call to schedule the visit.

Agreed. You can also tell them what to expect when you schedule the home care visit. For example, that you will be there to do X, Y, and Z, and the visit should last about 20 minutes. It is important to establish that relationship with the patient and family, but you shouldn't linger more than 5 or 10 minutes for pleasantries.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

I would thank them for the visit, and with a smile, while moving to the door, state something like: "I am looking forward to our next visit. I must continue on as I have patients expecting me. Thank you for allowing me into your home to meet with you today."

Specializes in ambulant care.

Offer food or anything else is a cry for time.

Our pts` hardest is the isolation.

+ Add a Comment