New grad- L&D

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Specializes in Labor and Delivery.

Hi! I'm a new grad, graduated in december and passed NCLEX end of January. I just got hired for my dream job, L&D! I feel so fortunate to be able to start in the unit that was the whole reason I began my nursing career in the first place.

Any tips or tricks for me as a new grad in L&D?

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

You may get some specific answers from L & D nurses, and that's great. However as a new nurse, much of what you have to learn isn't specific to L & D. There are many threads on this forum started by new grads asking for tips and tricks and I'd urge you to read them. There's great advice in them.

Just to get you started: Ask lots of questions, but make sure you're not asking stupid questions. A stupid question would be "Help! I've gotta cath Mrs. P! What do I do?" The smarter question would be: "I have an order to straight cath Mrs. P for a urine culture. I've read over the procedure and I've got everything I think I'll need right here. I've never done this before, so could you walk me through it before we go see Mrs. P?" Instead of asking "What's the number for the pharmacy again?" ask "Where would I find the list of most frequently needed phone numbers?" Carry a little notebook in your pocket and write down the answers to your questions, and review it a couple of times at the end of your shift.

Expect to do homework. Go home and look things up. Study the handouts you're given in orientation. Make drug cards. We all have to do this every time we change jobs or specialties.

Make sure you know where to find policies, procedures, phone numbers, cheat sheets, etc. You can look many things up before asking the question. As you gain more experience, you'll have less and less to look up.

Congratulations on your new career.

You may get some specific answers from L & D nurses, and that's great. However as a new nurse, much of what you have to learn isn't specific to L & D. There are many threads on this forum started by new grads asking for tips and tricks and I'd urge you to read them. There's great advice in them.

Just to get you started: Ask lots of questions, but make sure you're not asking stupid questions. A stupid question would be "Help! I've gotta cath Mrs. P! What do I do?" The smarter question would be: "I have an order to straight cath Mrs. P for a urine culture. I've read over the procedure and I've got everything I think I'll need right here. I've never done this before, so could you walk me through it before we go see Mrs. P?" Instead of asking "What's the number for the pharmacy again?" ask "Where would I find the list of most frequently needed phone numbers?" Carry a little notebook in your pocket and write down the answers to your questions, and review it a couple of times at the end of your shift.

Expect to do homework. Go home and look things up. Study the handouts you're given in orientation. Make drug cards. We all have to do this every time we change jobs or specialties.

Make sure you know where to find policies, procedures, phone numbers, cheat sheets, etc. You can look many things up before asking the question. As you gain more experience, you'll have less and less to look up.

Congratulations on your new career.

Thank you for those tips!

Where are you located? congratulations!

I'm in AZ :)

Specializes in OB/L&D/ patho.

When I started L&D from critical care, I studied!! There is so much to know. I was already an RN with 5 years ICU/IMCU experience and I still has to learn. As a new grad you will need to study, seek out experiences, and take advantage of the orientation period to gain knowledge. During my orientation, I was never without a patient. If my delivered, I picked up another one right away!

I'm in AZ :)

Hi, how are you? I am a student and live in Arizona if you have any time I would love to ask you some questions about the process of becoming a L&D nurse! If so can you email me @ [email protected] thank you!

+ Add a Comment