Charting in Epic

Specialties Operating Room

Published

• by RainMom
    Specializes in PACU, pre/postoperative, ortho.

Our facility will be transitioning to Epic in the next couple years. Recently, our managers are emphasizing real time charting during pre-op, stating that when we change to Epic, the OR will not be able to begin their charting until pre-op has finished & signed off. Currently, most of us feel like we DO chart as close to real-time as we can, but sometimes have to finish up shortly after the pt is wheeled to the OR.

So, for those that use Epic: Is the OR unable to do any charting until the pre-op charting is complete?

Editorial Team / Admin

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

6 Articles; 11,662 Posts

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

I personally won't document any times, positioning information like who did it, or medications. However, I will fill in biomed numbers of equipment, staff names, and if the preference card has the info, the positioning will actually autofill. I am able to document all of this regardless of where the patient is with preop care, including those that come direct from ICU to the OR without going to preop. I don't know if your employer can ask Epic to build the system in a way that you can't actually document OR information until preop information is complete or if they're just saying that and want that to be how it's done.

klangelo

13 Posts

I've been using epic at two different facilities for the past 4 years. I can document and view my patients chart regardless of where they are at in the perioperative stage. However, I cannot document on something if someone else is in the same section of tab. It will tell you "so and so is in the chart" and my version is read only. I've gotten calls from pre-op asking me to get out of the chart 😂

RainMom

1,114 Posts

Specializes in PACU, pre/postoperative, ortho.

Thank you both, that's helpful. Seems like maybe they are just wanting to push for this to be the way we do things...or...they don't really know how it will work yet; maybe something was misunderstood when some general details were reviewed. Like I said, it doesn't roll out until next year or later.

Windyhill, BSN

40 Posts

Specializes in RN.

I love Epic!

Hi there Everyone! I am new to EPiC charting. I am confused as to where I am to document the dressings used.

Are there short cuts for quick cases? If not, how may one create those shortcuts.

Editorial Team / Admin

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

6 Articles; 11,662 Posts

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.
1 hour ago, MiahScrub1998 said:

Hi there Everyone! I am new to EPiC charting. I am confused as to where I am to document the dressings used.

Are there short cuts for quick cases? If not, how may one create those shortcuts.

Due to the customization by each facility, these are questions you need to ask your Epic superuser or team.

FurBabyMom, MSN, RN

1 Article; 814 Posts

On 5/27/2019 at 10:05 PM, Rose_Queen said:

Due to the customization by each facility, these are questions you need to ask your Epic superuser or team.

This is the best answer for you. Depending on the version of Epic which was purchased and how it was set up, the answer will vary.

There is a way to do it...at least in some versions of Epic.

+ Add a Comment