Thoughts on Covering Own Shift

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I work on a rehabilitation unit and most nursing staff have fixed schedules. My co-worker "Beth" is very dependable and has been charge nurse for several years. Beth had been experiencing eye discomfort and eye doctor discovered benign growths on both eyes. Surgery was recommended and scheduled for the next week. Beth called our assistant director and informed of scheduled surgery. She was told that since we schedule 6 weeks in advance, she would need to find someone to cover her shifts. I have enjoyed working on my unit, but this puts a bad taste in my mouth. In a case like this, shouldn't the unit managers make an effort to find coverage? This makes me feel less valued- we cannot predict life 6 weeks in advance. Are you required to cover your own shift if situation beyond your control? Would love to hear rationale from someone working in management.

Specializes in MDS/ UR.
benign growths vs. stroke

not sure the growths constitute an urgent medical need

do they, OP, or can Beth wait safely wait 6 weeks? If not, she should just schedule her surgery and the manager can hire a temp or otherwise cover Beth's shifts. Beth should be able to get FMLA, too, it sounds like, whether the manager likes it or not.

Managers know for sure...

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

I had surgery last year. I filed for a medical LOA for 3 weeks a month prior to the procedure. I was not asked to find coverage for myself prior to the surgery.

What's happening to your friend is not right at all.

Specializes in Clinical Leadership, Staff Development, Education.

Thanks for all the responses. This has been helpful.

It's call FMLA.

I worked full-time night shift....and got a terrible cold. But - because we got written up for every day we were absent from work (and if it wasn't scheduled PTO, you were absent), I went to work. In addition, the first day we were absent on 'sick time' we didn't get paid for -- only after the first day. Apparently, that rule discouraged people from calling in.

I was the one that could always get an IV in a laboring patient, so they asked me to put one in a patient that had already been stuck by 3 people with no success.

So here's the scene: put on mask to protect patient, wash hands, assemble all equipment, apply gloves, apply tourniquet, clean proposed site.............. and stop. Back away from patient, remove mask and gloves, turn and blow nose. Reapply mask, wash hands and repeat....and repeat.....and repeat.......

It took me 6 times before I got the IV in and could tape it and have the patient's nurse finally secure it. And my head nurse comes in at 7 AM and says 'Oh, is that allergies?'

'No, it's a cold.'

It was apparently perfectly ok for me to come to work and spread my viruses around. That's how it went through the whole staff --- one communicable staff member at a time.

+ Add a Comment