Lawsuit

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Geriatrics.

I'm involved in a lawsuit (I'm not being sued) about something that happened years ago. So and so is saying I said so and so fell because of (insert reason here). I don't remember this conversation as it was so long ago. It was an un-witnessed event so I can't say for certain what caused it. All of it was caught on camera so I'm uncertain why it's still even an issue. I have to meet with my employers lawyer and give a statement, but I have no idea what to even say!

Is "I don't remember" an okay statement? I feel like that makes me seem incompetent. I remember the resident, I remember what was going on with them. But I don't remember the conversation held with the family member.

To the best of my knowledge I think it's usually ok to say "I don't remember" during this kind of questioning but then again I've never attended law school :) you are being truthful, not incompetent.

Specializes in Critical Care.

The truth is always the right answer, if you truly don't remember then that would be the right answer.

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

Well learn from the experts. Politicians when being questioned say that all the time. "I do not recall", "that's not how I remember it"

When dealing with the law we all tend to get diarrhea of the mouth. Answer the question they asked, and only that question. Do not use three words when two will do. Be comfortable with long pauses, don't fill space verbally.

"I would need to review my charting as I have no independent recollection of any specifics."

Anything that isn't clear (as in, you can read it verbatim in the chart without making inferences or assumptions) > "I don't know."

+ Add a Comment