Occupational Medicine

Specialties Advanced

Published

Please any thoughts on going into Occupational Medicine?

I understand the whole idea of Press Ganey, and I am not against it. However, when you put in your best and it is still not good enough, it gets bothersome for me. So....I am seeking positions that I can still deliver quality care to patients without having to worry about scores. Even if I still have to deal with Press Ganey, Occupational Medicine will still be an alternative for me. So any suggestions and input will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

I think you will be doing a lot of drug screening!

Specializes in Occ. Hlth, Education, ICU, Med-Surg.

Techs do the drug screens. Any positives are reviewed and taken care of by the Medical Review Officer (a Physician)

FullGlass, BSN, MSN, NP

2 Articles; 1,726 Posts

Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).

I did a clinical rotation with an NP who specializes in Occupational Medicine. She had a great job and loved it. She had her own little clinic on the grounds of a gigantic facility with many employees. It was generally low key and relaxed and her patients were very nice.

I also did a job interview with a busy and hectic occupational medicine clinic that served a large agricultural population - this was very similar to an urgent care (lots of injuries) and it looked like a very interesting job.

Occupational medicine is worth looking into. It can vary greatly by the population served, so you just have to go on interviews and see what you think. On the physician blogs, I've seen them write that they love occupational medicine jobs.

Good luck.

NutmegNP

7 Posts

It can vary from company to company. For one company in occ med I did primarily injury management. For another, which was a large fortune 100 company, I did travel medicine, wellness, and some primary care believe it or not. For my current company, I am more of a technician, actually collecting the drug screen, spirometry testing, audiometry testing, drawing blood etc. The technician role is not really my cup of tea so I'm going to be moving on however I agree there are a lot of different avenues occ med can take you. However, although there are no press ganey's remember, you can be in the middle of angry employees that want you to deem chronic conditions like DDD / DJD work related and angry adjusters denying claims so it's not exactly an escape from conflict.

+ Add a Comment