Suicide attempt while at school

Specialties School

Published

Ive been a school nurse for 3 years. Before this great adventure, I was hospital based and also did high risk outpatient OB case management. On Monday, I had the scariest nursing experience of my life. Im not handling it well and thought I might share it with other school nurses to help give me some insight.

Im a nurse at a middle school, have approx 740 6th, 7th and 8th graders. I was called to a classroom for an "emergency" I took off running, emergency bag in tow, arrived to the classroom to find one of my 8th graders on the floor convulsing and screaming about pain. Head to toe assessment, as fast as I could. She is well known to me, in fact had recently disclosed that she was pregnant ( long story short CPS referral, lots of visits with me in my office etc she is 13) At that point she screams out, "I just want to die." I ask, "did you take something" She responds, "yes when I got to school" We were in the process of a self inflicted drug overdose. My heart literally stopped. I instructed the teacher to call 911. Maintained airway, kept her conscious, kept her from hurting herself during convulsions. All the time I prayed that this child please not die!! Took paramedics 22 minutes to arrive. One of the most heart breaking moments was when the got her on the stretcher and she screamed "my name, please dont leave me!" I quickly hugged her, told her she was in good hands, that I had to stay to take care of the others. They wheeled her away and I lost it. I cried, I shook and felt like I was going to faint. It was at that moment I realized just how "alone" I am in this job. I have an AED, no narcan (yet) no oxygen, no code team. She will be ok. She is getting the care she needs. We move on. Im having terrible nightmares. I keep dreaming that 3 of my kids do it at the same time, in different places and I cant get to them.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Have any of you ever been overwhelmed by the thought that you are the only nurse in your building and that your resources, both materially and in other medical support persons, is incredibly limited?

I have made an appt with a counselor for myself. The emotions of this are exhausting.

Any words of advice? Thank you in advance!!!

Specializes in school nursing/ maternal/child hospital based.

I can totally see where you are coming from. This was my first ( and hopefully last) experience with a suicide attempt at school. Unfortunately, I find myself keeping my head down a lot more than I would like too. Its the only way I can keep from being totally overwhelmed by all of the issues our poor kids are dealing with in this day and age.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

The safety plan most definitely falls in the list of need to know things for teachers.... Hang in there! I'm glad you're getting a critical incident debrief.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

So I want to give a shout out to our high school nurse. Not nearly as an emotional experience as you Cas...but she had a girl visit her clinic earlier in the week, wrought up about what to do, because the girl's friend texted her that she was home by herself, was going to kill herself and had taken a large amount of pills. Our savvy high school nurse got the kid's name, identified her address, and called 911 for EMS to be dispatched to the address - of course police and fire respond too. So, BAM!! The girl was snatched from the jaws of death and lived to rehab and, hopefully, a long and happy life. All because another school nurse was on guard and ready to act.

Specializes in school nursing/ maternal/child hospital based.
So I want to give a shout out to our high school nurse. Not nearly as an emotional experience as you Cas...but she had a girl visit her clinic earlier in the week, wrought up about what to do, because the girl's friend texted her that she was home by herself, was going to kill herself and had taken a large amount of pills. Our savvy high school nurse got the kid's name, identified her address, and called 911 for EMS to be dispatched to the address - of course police and fire respond too. So, BAM!! The girl was snatched from the jaws of death and lived to rehab and, hopefully, a long and happy life. All because another school nurse was on guard and ready to act.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! That makes my heart so happy! School nurses really are all that and a bag of chips!

Specializes in Med-Surg, Oncology, School Nursing, OB.

I just now read this entire threat and wow! Definitely praying for you and the girl and hugs for you. I'm SO glad you were there. It seems everyone else was just waiting for her "seizure" to be over. It's because of you she has a chance now.

And she'll "think about it"??? What kind of counselor is that? I'd go ahead and inform all the teachers and the entire staff of what happened and that they all need to watch out for signs of problems like that. It should serve as a wake up call. You take care of you and you stand up for your girl because no one else will.

Teachers need to learn, if the nurse is freaked out it's serious and if the nurse is calm it's not!

+ Add a Comment