Really Hating the Words...

Specialties School

Published

I don't know. I get this answer from LD all the time when asking them questions and it drives me up the wall. Getting information can be so frustrating.

Well, now I am the one saying, "I don't know." My mom is not doing well. She has stage 4 lung cancer and has just come out of the hospital for the flu and pneumonia. I went up Friday (Oklahoma) and returned home yesterday. I was about an hour away from home when I got word they had called an ambulance for my mom. At this point they cannot do anymore Chemo due to her being so weak and her body is wore out. She is not ready to go on hospice, so I still have questions I expected to have answered this weekend but no answers. When people ask question all I can say is "I don't know."

Specializes in pediatrics, School LVN.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I'll say to you what I tell my own children, it's ok not to know sometimes, try not to be hard on yourself.

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

I'm so sorry. You don't owe anyone your knowledge. Cancer is tricky, and humans respond to different treatments in unique ways, so sometimes the doctors don't even know. Wishing you peace in this difficult time.

Specializes in Peds, School Nurse, clinical instructor.

Prayers for you and your family. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

Sounds as though you are over-whelmed right now. That's hard....

Specializes in School.
Sounds as though you are over-whelmed right now. That's hard....

Yes. When I go "home" it feels like I am all alone. My husband is unable to make quick trips with me due to his work and I don't have my church peeps (support) with me. I do have some support in my in-laws, but it's not like what you have on a day to day basis. I went to church last night and that helped greatly.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

Am keeping you in prayer. I felt as you do when my mom died. My family unreachable and no friends near. You are not alone. He is walking this road with you, and so are we.

Specializes in NICU, Infection Control.

When my mother was declining, the hospital wouldn't let us take her home w/o hospice. Otherwise, she would have to go to an extended care facility. She asked us if we wanted her to die. I told her that wasn't the issue, the issue was where she wanted to go that DAY. She decided on hospice.

Best thing we could have done. We were able to keep her @ home, got nursing care in addition to the caregivers we were already paying. A home health aide came 2x/wk to help bathe her, an RN came once a week to review her plan of care, tweak as needed, check on meds, etc. We had access to durable medical goods free (the whole thing was paid for by Medicare).

Their support was priceless. I strongly suggest you get it.

Specializes in kids.

Holding light and space for you all. You have a a crappyyear!

Specializes in School.

Update on mom. Mom is doing well. She has bounced back from her illness, but still no word on further treatment for the lung cancer. She goes Wednesday for a follow-up with cancer dr. My sister seems to think they will opt to do the chemo.

Thank you for your prayers, thoughts and support.

+ Add a Comment