Can i be fired

Nurses Professionalism

Published

I Work at a Healthcare center.

I work morning shift I've gotten along with everybody since day one I've always like to joke around I think it makes the environment. Fun. In a cheerful person . I do get alot that i have an attitude but that's just the way I talk. This other girl on the floor has worse attitude . but I'm the one getting pointed at ... I always say please when I need stuff done say good mmorning get to work while other can be told good morning and don't even answer back . my biggest. Question is can I get fired for sopposly having an attitude .

Specializes in ER.

Yes. If the people around you are offended it doesn't matter what your intentions are.

Specializes in orthopedic/trauma, Informatics, diabetes.

It may come up as an issue in annual review. Peer review is more important than I thought. I just tried a clinical ladder advancement and perception is someone else's reality. People that don't know me well, gave me so-so ratings and it cost me. Working on fixing that. It's hard to see yourself the way others see you. I am very bad at reading how others see me.

As a person who wants to advance a little (not manager-maybe charge nurse or clinical team lead) I need to be more consistent and be more personable. It is very hard to admit/accept that people don't like you when you have NO idea why. That is my dilemma. I am getting suggestions from manager and her boss.

Good Luck!!!

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.
It may come up as an issue in annual review. Peer review is more important than I thought. I just tried a clinical ladder advancement and perception is someone else's reality. People that don't know me well, gave me so-so ratings and it cost me. Working on fixing that. It's hard to see yourself the way others see you. I am very bad at reading how others see me.

As a person who wants to advance a little (not manager-maybe charge nurse or clinical team lead) I need to be more consistent and be more personable. It is very hard to admit/accept that people don't like you when you have NO idea why. That is my dilemma. I am getting suggestions from manager and her boss.

Good Luck!!!

I applaud your attitude about this situation. You seem to be using it as a learning/growth experience for yourself and I think that is great. You sound like the type of person I would want to work with.

Personally, I am not always so positive about getting negative feedback. I admit it: sometimes I can get defensive.

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

Most states are work at will states, this double edge blade works both ways for you and the employer.

I personally like snarky people... makes life fun. With that said if your attitude is pulling down staff and you have not corrected it I will let you go for work place harassment. You are making the work environment awful.

I can terminate an employee for any reason other than the protected ones we learn about you know, color, gender, religion...

I knew a nurse who was let go because the management did not like the way they pushed their medicine cart (I am sure there was more to this) but they swear this is why they were terminated.

I saw management change frequently and one department head left because they did not like how the new DON looked-DON would not wear a white lab coat.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

Yes. It may be helpful to quietly sit down privately with those who appear to have a problem with how you communicate. Let the expectation be one of mutual respect though, not defensiveness or pointing fingers.

You also might ask yourself if the health care environment that you are working in, is condusive to how you interact with others. If it isn't, fix it.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

The short answer to your question is yes. You can get fired for having an attitude/personality that makes you a poor fit for the group.

If you have to ask, your attitude is probably having a poor effect on your workplace relationships. It would not hurt to tone it down a little, maybe turn it off once in awhile. Or, perhaps your sixth sense is trying to tell you that you may find yourself on the outs and a check of your resume is in order.

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.

I know you can't really change your personality, but you have to be adaptable. I have worked with people who I think are really funny (sarcastic, witty, etc.), and then they have been turned in by a coworker who thinks that person is mean, rude, and has a bad attitude. I agree that we need to laugh at work, but some people can take it the wrong way, and it can be very difficulty to lose that "bad attitude" label.

+ Add a Comment